T R E N T A D U E

Grabbing her purse from the bed, she ran down the stairs to where Demetri was waiting for her. She was wearing a long silky dress that made her feel like she was some rich woman going to a way too expensive dinner, which she was, and her hair flowed down her back in curls. She smiled innocently, holding up her purse, which she had almost forgotten, to Demetri. "Got it."

"Delightful," he said teasingly. He offered her his arm, which she took gratefully, while they made their way out of the castle. "Do you already know what you want to eat?"

"I haven't even seen the menu," she said, a chuckle escaping her mouth. "In fact, I have no idea where we are going."

"No, it's a surprise," Demetri said, smiling smugly. He led her to a car, a very expensive looking car, opening the door for her.

She looked at him in surprise and entered the car smoothly. Yes, he might have told her to dress up fancy, because they were going someplace fancy, but she hadn't thought he would get an actual chauffeur to get them to the place. Looking up at him as he entered the car as well, she raised her eyebrows. "Never took you for the expensive and luxurious type of guy."

"I'm not," he confirmed, grabbing her hand and giving it a soft squeeze. "But every once in a while it can be fun."

"Oh, I see," she said, smiling teasingly. "Not that I have any troubles with that."

"Of course not."

The rest of the drive was silent, mostly because Cecilia was too caught up with the countryside they were driving through. It reminded her a little of home, the forest and the greenery, minus the snow, of course. Her mind was also on the jitters she felt, the nervous butterflies fluttering in her stomach. It was her last evening as a mortal, a thought that made her both happy and scared at the same time.

She had always imagined her father turning her on her eighteenth birthday, which was still ten months away, in the presence and comfort of her home. The three days thereafter would be hell, but her family would be there, holding her hands and soothing her, even if she wouldn't be able to feel it. And well, if something would go wrong, her father would be there, ready to save the day. Now her family was thousands of miles away and she was about to be turned in the middle of a snake pit, with only Demetri by her side. He made up for a lot, though.

"What's on your mind?" she heard Demetri ask, his thumb drawing slow circles on the back of her hand.

She turned her face away from the windows, smiling absentmindedly. "Tonight."

"Are you worried?" he asked.

She shook her head, but Demetri, probably sensing that she was lying, kept on staring at her until she caved in. A little sigh escaped her lips and she let her shoulders hang. "Maybe a little," she said. "I'd just always imagined my family would be there, you know?"

"I'm sorry," he said, the tone in his voice sympathetic.

Cecilia looked up, instantly feeling guilty for the expression of sorrow that crossed Demetri's face and forcing the corners of her mouth up, she squeezed in his hand. "Hey, I'm very grateful you're going to be the one to turn me," she said. She was, she truly was. Though she hadn't expected to find her soulmate this way, she was happy it had happened still. She lifted their intertwined hands, pressing a soft kiss on the back of his. "And as long as you'll stay with me till I wake up, everything will be just as fine."

"Of course I'll stay," he said, smiling once more.

"Oh my gosh, this food is fine, but Demetri, do you know what's even finer?" Cecilia asked. She was teasing him with a smile that lit up her whole face. Demetri's eyes caught hers and probably already suspecting what was going on, he rolled her eyes. That made the girl in front of him only laugh harder. "Your face when you eat something!"