Chapter 5: The Rescue

Book 2: Family
Chapter 5: The Rescue

Kaimana

A cold breeze blew through the cave. Kai felt fine, but Akira was shivering beside him.

"It's so cold." She exhaled steam from her nose.

"Yeah." Kai agreed, though he wasn't even paying attention to what she had said. All of his attention was focused on his father, Mako, who was busy stoking the fire.

"There, that should warm us up." Mako said.

Kai stared directly at him. His face probably showed his irritation.

"What's wrong son?" Mako asked.

"I thought you were dead." Kai said dryly.

Mako looked regretful. "Kai, I'm sorry. I needed you to believe something was truly wrong with me. Otherwise you never would've left Ember Island."

Deep down, Kai knew his father's words were true, but it still hurt. "Why do you even need me here?"

"Because it's your birthright to claim the throne. Someone had to do it, and I couldn't think of anyone better to do so."

"So you're just using me? Is that all I am to you? A pawn?"

"Son..." Mako started.

"No, don't call me that! You abandoned me on Ember Island. You don't get to just show up after thirty years and pretend like you care." Kai retorted.

Mako didn't have a response. He just stared at the ground.

"Kai." Nalini started.

"And you, you told me he was dead. Why?"

"Those were my orders. I... I didn't want to lie to you." Nalini promised.

"Something came up. I had to leave. You already thought I was dying, so I told Nalini to just say I was dead. I knew she could eventually convince you to challenge Aklavik." Mako explained.

"It's all part of a bigger picture. We couldn't reveal the truth to you until the time was right." Nalini added.

"I'm sorry for the secrecy Kai, but it was the only way." Mako said.

Kai huffed. "It's always the same with you."

He turned and walked outside the cave. A blizzard had picked up since they had arrived. Kai couldn't see anything except for the blue light of the spirit portal cutting through the snow above the treetops. Akira came outside and joined him.

"Hey. What's wrong? What did your dad do to make you hate him?" She asked.

"I don't hate him. He's my dad. It's complicated." Kai explained.

"You can tell me. Maybe I can help. I can speak to your mom, you know." Akira said.

Kai sighed. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

He began. "It's just that he was never there when I was growing up. The Waterbenders on Ember Island took care of me. They taught me how to control my bending, and to be a great healer, but they couldn't fill the void that he left. My mother died before I was even a year old, but she didn't abandon me, not like he did."

"Master, I'm sure there was a good reason for him being gone." Akira said.

Kai knew Akira just wanted to help, but she didn't know the full story. "Thank you Akira, but it's not that simple."

He turned and went back inside the cave.

•••••