Gee, Officer Krupke

I hesitantly slid into the stool next to him.

"So I'm a special someone?" I asked, dipping my fork into the pancakes decorated with syrup and whipped cream. If there was one good thing about the diner it was how great the food tasted.

He only smiled and began to dig into his portion.

Realizing that he wasn't going to say anything further, I took a bite out of mine. The flavors melted onto my tongue and I savored the taste. These pancakes were so good.

The diner was quiet, only the occasional clanging of forks against their plates as they feasted on the breakfast set out in front of them.

"Can I ask you something?" John finally broke the silence between us. His plate was almost empty, a corner of a pancake left.

"Sure" I stated, it seemed like the only way to respond. 

He moved the last piece around on his plate, swirling the syrup and melted whipped cream around.

Whatever he was going to ask, he was nervous about.

"I was wondering if you want to go-" he was cut off by a crash outside.

We were both startled by the commotion but I was the first one out of my seat. I stepped closer to the window at the front of the diner. From the view through the window you couldn't see much. People were crowding around and whispering to each other in fear.

Please don't be what I think it is

Frustrated that I couldn't see enough, I made my way to the front door with John right behind me. I turned to look up at John and his eyes were filled with as much concern as mine. 

As I stepped onto the cold windy street of Manhattan, police sirens came from every direction. Doors were being shut all down the street, people taking in whoever they could take. Murmurs and complaints were heard from the citizens that had yet to make their way inside.

I stared down the street and my stomach dropped.

The Sharks.