East of Eaton: Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

Erica unlocked the shop and moved through the gloom, turning on lights, computer terminals, the stereo and her new cash register. The renovation was nearly finished. Tan, commercial-grade carpet covered the floors. The sage walls and landscape art prints complemented the oak bookcases strategically arranged throughout the store. Leather club chairs and deep, plush sofas beckoned to shoppers. At one corner of the store, a playroom with brightly colored toys enticed toddlers to explore. Child-sized beanbags invited little ones to sit and read. One wall featured a flat-screen television and on the top shelf of the colorful bookcase was a DVD player. Below it, Erica arranged a shelf of G-rated films and each title was available in the store's film section.

A large wooden stage, flanked by Peavey speakers, occupied the far side of the store. A red stool and a stand-up microphone were placed in the middle of the stage. An upright piano sat to the left. Electricians installed spotlights for the live, acoustic shows she planned. Musicians were lined up for each weekend in July, and others were calling for gigs in August.

One of her new employees, a college student named Tim Rogers, not only knew about books, he designed Web sites and created one for East of Eaton. She added 6,000 new titles to the store's catalog, many non-fiction titles and all were available through her online catalog. Last week, she expanded the history section, although she refused to speculate why.

A new writer's group planned to meet each Tuesday evening. Another new employee, Janet Woods, agreed to be the shop liaison with local reading clubs and art groups wanting to use the facility.

Mrs. Duval, of course, remained as Erica's assistant manager and right hand. She personally reviewed each book before it was shelved, her encyclopedic memory storing titles for future reference.

Robert convinced her to hire a flamboyant chef, Marcel Rivers, for Sullivan's café.

"You can't afford to alienate customers. I know it's only beverages, sandwiches and pastries, but they have to be top notch," he said, justifying the expense.

Erica acquiesced when Robert ordered large baking ovens and a walk-in freezer. The kitchen appliances and equipment cost three times her original estimate but he assured her she would make her investment back, hand over fist.

When Robert stopped by the day before, he surveyed the shop with satisfaction. Next to him, Erica nervously twisted a dust rag. "I can't believe it's real," she said. "I can't believe I spent all that money," she added, jabbing Robert in the ribs.

"Trust me, Erica. It's the right way to do it."

"I know, and I do trust you. I just hope it works out."

"You worry too much. This is your dream, your vision, and it's beautiful. Wait until Saturday and stand back," he said confidently, his arm around her waist. He pulled her against him and kissed the top of her head. "I'll see you later. I've got a client waiting."

"Thank you," she whispered as he walked towards the exit.

Erica caught a quizzical stare from Janet after Robert's enthusiastic peck. She knew the employees were curious about their relationship. In truth, they were business partners only. Although many young women of Eaton fantasized about Robert, Erica was not among the number. In fact, if she had been romantically inclined he would have dumped her long ago. Robert didn't need more lovers — he needed a friend.

Now, twenty minutes before the staff was due on Wednesday morning, Erica walked through the store, running a possessive hand over the new bookcases. She closed her eyes, lifted her chin and inhaled the aroma of new books and leather. A rapping at the door broke her reverie. She squinted through the glass panes of the front door and her heart skipped a beat. She moved quickly, unlocking and opening it.