East of Eaton: Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

By Sunday afternoon, peace ruled the Moore household. Erica and Daisy shopped at Peachy's, trying on clothes and shoes and having lunch at Sheila Peachy's new cafe. Daisy came home with two large shopping bags.

"Remember, those are school clothes," her mother said as they walked into the house. Daisy grinned as she trotted up the stairs, knowing it was important for Erica to pretend she hadn't been bribing her daughter. Once in her room, she carelessly tossed the bags in the corner and sat at her small desk. She flipped open her laptop computer and typed a few words then waited.

"Hi, where have you been?" Brian typed back through the computer's instant messenger.

"Shopping. Want to come over?"

"Can't. Uncle's got the car."

"When will he be back?"

"Soon; I'll let you know."

They continued chatting, Daisy's fingers flying over the keys. She heard her mother calling from downstairs.

She typed "brb," shorthand for "be right back," then she leaned back in her chair turning her head towards her open bedroom door.

"What?" she yelled.

"Come to the top of the stairs, please," Erica called.

Sighing dramatically, Daisy padded into the hall. Her grandfather also poked his head out his study door, a book tucked under his arm.

"Who is she talking to?" he asked Daisy.

"Me, I guess." She leaned over the stair rail. "What, Mom?"

"I'm going to the bookstore to unpack some more boxes. Do you want to go?"

"No thanks. I'm going to put away my clothes and clean my room."

Erica cocked her head and raised an eyebrow. She knew better. "Right. Well, stay home. I'll be home late so you'll have to fix your own dinner."

Daisy squinted across the hall to her grandfather. Pizza! "Okay. See ya later."

They both ducked back into their respective rooms, the conversation over. Erica felt dismissed. Shrugging, she picked up her purse and car keys and headed out the door. Sometimes, Dad and Daisy preferred to be home alone.

She started her car, an older Honda, and reversed out of her driveway. As she drove the two miles to downtown Eaton, Erica felt excitement build. The bookstore was nearing completion and the grand opening next week would be an all-day festival that concluded with a live band. She hired two people to help stock shelves and another to manage the small coffee house.

She pulled up to a stoplight at the corner of Main and was deafened by the rock music from the car next to her. She recognized "Whipping Post" by the Allman Brothers. She caught a glimpse of the other driver but couldn't see his face, only muddy jeans and fingers tapping on the steering wheel as he kept time with the music. Some guy four-wheeling in his Jeep, minus its top and doors.

It's a great day for it, she thought, turning her attention back to the stoplight.

Jeep! The kid drove a Jeep the other night, she recalled, irritated at the memory of her fight with Daisy. She craned her neck to see the face in the other vehicle.

From his vantage point, Clay admired the tanned, shapely legs of the person in the next car.  When Erica ducked to look at him, he winked.

Then the light turned green and behind her, a car horn sounded. Automatically, she pressed her foot on the accelerator and shot forward. She turned right onto Main. In rearview mirror, she watched as the Jeep pulled into her lane and made the same turn. She chose a parking space in front of the shop and turned off the car. As she stepped out, the Jeep pulled along side her and double-parked. The bluesy tune "Hoochie Coochie Man" now played on the stereo as Clay rested a hand on his steering wheel. With the four-wheeler's top and doors removed, the sun caught fire in his dark hair. She noticed he'd had it cut, trading the long, casual style for a short, ruffled one.  He wore a blue chambray shirt and jeans. She saw a brown leather band circling his neck as he leaned forward and turned the volume down.