East of Eaton: Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

Daisy cried herself to sleep. When she woke, her face was puffy and sad. Erica stirred half-and-half into a cup of coffee and felt a bit guilty when a listless Daisy walked into the kitchen. Erica tried her standard bribe.

"Want to go shopping later this afternoon? I've got to go to Peachy's for some things for the store."

Peachy's, the heart of Eaton despite its location on the outskirts of the town, served the community's needs with its various shops and businesses. Owned by the same family since 1842, Peachy's began as a general store. During the past century, it evolved to include everything from goldfish to gasoline, and provided services ranging from haircuts to hot tub repairs. Each generation of the Peachy family added to the business, expanding it as their various interests and talents emerged.

Years earlier, a "big box" store opened on the other side of town, but it lasted only a year. After that, a big discount chain moved into the abandoned building. It closed too. There was no competing with the hometown oddity.

Peachy's never moved into book selling, mostly because the Sullivan family already provided the service. Peachy's had a monopoly in many areas, but they were neighbors first.

Morose, Daisy sat at the small wooden table. She didn't look from the bowl of cereal she'd poured for herself. "I've got to work at the pool until seven. Thanks."

"Well, I can wait until later. We can go tonight after dinner, or we can eat out, if you want."

Daisy knew the routine well. Her volatile mother would get angry, yell, make her cry, then try to make up. Daisy allowed it most of the time. Throughout the years, she had amassed a lot of music, clothes, art supplies and books by milking the remorse. She shrugged.

Erica collected her pocketbook and car keys. She knew the routine, as well, although she'd never admit it. "I'll see you tonight, then. You remember to come home right after work; no side trips."

"I know," Daisy said, annoyed.

Erica drove slowly through the neighborhood, heading for town. Summer was in full swing and, despite the early hour, children rode bicycles and played ball in the streets. She decided to take a slight detour and drive by the community pool at the corner of High and Elm streets. She paused at the stop sign and peered through the tall, chain-link fence. She spotted Brian in his lifeguard's chair, perched above the loud mob of children. He had zinc oxide on his nose, sunglasses over his eyes and a whistle in his mouth. He blew a couple of quick bursts and pointed at a little boy. "Quit splashing, Franklin, or you'll have to sit out."

A little girl came to his post, crying. He jumped down and put his hand on her shoulder. "What's wrong, Jody? You hurt your finger?"

Erica watched as he examined at the little girl's hand. A moment later, he kissed it. She threw her arms around his neck and squeezed, then sprinted to the shallow end and jumped into the pool, splashing Franklin. Brian put his fists on his hips and shook his head.

"So, he's a nice guy," Erica fumed to herself. "He's also a troublemaker."

A car honked behind her. How long had she been sitting at the intersection, watching Brian? She waved her hand in apology.

Once downtown, she parked behind the bookstore. My bookstore, she thought proudly as she turned the key in the lock and pushed open the metal back door. She flipped on the lights in the long tunnel that ran behind her business. It served as a storage area with boxes of books stacked along one wall and furniture jumbled in a corner.