worry.

TW: swearing 

~ sorry if i didn't make it clear earlier, but italic text means the character's thoughts :)

~ the song isn't really related to the chapter, just a little something to listen to while u read if you want <3

                                                                         Time skip to that night

Y/n's POV

I couldn't sleep. The sound of Duncan and Isadora's terrified screams as they were taken kept entering my mind. Quigley was sleeping peacefully in one of the many chairs in the reptile room, so I couldn't talk to him about it. It had to be at least two in the morning.

I don't know when, but I eventually fell asleep. That didn't stop the day's events from coming back to me, though. I was back in the room with the trapdoor, except the door was transparent meaning I could see everything behind it. I couldn't help them once the hook-handed man forced them away from the cage. Their cries filled my head and I woke up screaming and in tears. Quigley woke up immediately and ran over to me.

"Y/n, what happened?" 

"I-I keep thinking of what happened yesterday. It just feels like if I had stayed there, they would be alright." I replied.

"They'll be alright, Y/n. They're very resourceful, and Olaf wouldn't dare harm them. There's eyes everywhere." Quigley said.

"I shouldn't be worrying this much, we'll find them sooner or later." He smiled, and went back to his chair to sleep a bit longer.

I love him, I really do. I wish I wouldn't make him worry so much.

Time skip to a bit before The Slippery Slope. (i'm sorry i just don't feel like writing four books' worth of random details 😭

"You have everything, right?" Quigley asked me. I nodded, and he slipped his hand into mine. He could tell I was a bit nervous, we were about to travel to the Mortmain Mountains in the hopes of finding the whereabouts of the Baudelaires and the other two Quagmires. The trolley arrived at the front of Montgomery's house, and we stepped on.

"Next stop, Village of Fowl Devotees!" came the jolly voice of the conductor. The man sitting next to me got off. We stopped a few more times, until we heard him announce that we were arriving at the Mortmain Mountains. Quigley signaled to the conductor that we were getting off, and he took my hand and stood up. I smiled at the kind woman wearing a white wig before following him.

"Fuck, it's freezing!" I exclaimed as we stepped off.

"No shit, Sherlock. We're in the mountains." joked Quigley. He handed me an extra coat and I smiled at him. Was he... blushing? No, shut up brain. It's cold out, that's all. 

Hours passed, and we finally found a cave to stay in for the night. 

"Do you smell smoke?" asked Quigley.

"Yeah, I think someone is in the cave. C'mon, maybe they'll let us stay there." As we entered the cave, I noticed a familiar face illuminated by the fire. Once I saw the ugly pink dress she was wearing I knew it could be only one person.

"Brucie, there's two cakesniffers standing at the cave entrance. Since I'm more adorable than you, I think you should go talk to them." 

"Alright, Carmelita." sighed Brucie. "Hello, who might you two be?" she asked us.

"We're... um..." I started.

"We're mountain climbers! We've lost the rest of our group so we came here." 

"Oh, come in! We have extra masks inside." said Brucie.

"But Brucie, I don't think they should come in. They look like cakesniffers to me, especially the girl." whined Carmelita. I blushed in embarrassment.

"Now, Carmelita. We must remember to be accommodating. That's the first rule in the Snow Scout pledge." replied Brucie, nodding towards the rest of the children.

"Snow Scouts are accommodating, basic, calm, darling, emblematic, frisky, grinning, human, innocent, jumping, kept, limited, meek, nap-loving, official, pretty, quarantined, recent, scheduled, tidy, understandable, victorious, wholesome, xylophone, young, and zippered–every morning, every afternoon, every night, and all day long!" recited the Snow Scouts. Quigley and I shared a disbelieving look.

"That can't really be your pledge, right?" he asked. "I mean, how can someone be meek and frisky at the same time? And 'xylophone' isn't even an adjective..." 

"We couldn't find any other words that start with 'X', and I don't really care because I'm too adorable to learn adjectives and nouns." grinned Carmelita. I rolled my eyes. 

"Now c'mon, let's all eat marshmallows until we can't move." Brucie offered, seemingly eager to change the subject. A Snow Scout with bright red hair whispered to me,

"What that really means is that we're going to listen to Carmelita telling boring stories about how adorable she is. Just a heads up." she said. I thanked her with a nod of my head. Turns out, she was right. For the next three hours, Quigley, the Snow Scouts, and I sat by the fire listening to Carmelita tell story after story. Most of them consisted of her being the more adorable older sister of Cinderella who marries her prince only to divorce him a year later to take his money. As she was about to tell yet another story, Brucie interrupted her.

"Carmelita, you've told enough stories for tonight. How about we give someone else a chance? You two must have some interesting stories, no?" She asked Quigley and I.

"N-no, I don't really have anything interesting to tell." I said. The idea of telling stories to someone as unpleasant as Carmelita wasn't my cup of tea. 

"Me neither, sorry." Quigley replied."

"I'm not surprised, cakesniffers like yourselves never have anything interesting to tell." Carmelita scoffed. There was silence for a minute or two, and then Brucie spoke up.

"I'm spent, Carmelita. I'm going to bed and I suggest you all do too." She offered. Quigley and I nodded, eager to get away from Carmelita. 

That night consisted of Quigley falling asleep while holding my hand for some reason, me trying to process what happened today, and not sleeping until hours later. Gosh, I hope not every night will be this stressful. I tried to read the book that I had packed, but it was much too dark. Eventually, I fell asleep without realizing I was tired. Please, don't let me think of Isadora and Duncan. Please.

                                                                            End of chapter six.

a/n: hey! sorry i updated so late again, i was really tired and i couldn't find time to write. hope you enjoyed!

writing time: 2 hours

word count: 1064

see y'all tomorrow!

- olivia <33