The School: The Friends of Maximum Ride

Chapter One

A/N: I do not own the Maximum Ride Series. I have a lot of this written, so uploads will be pretty fast.

___

I sit, in my cage, staring through the thick metal bars. It smelled like medicine. I hated the smell of medicine. I bet Hell smells like medicine. I stare across the aisle, into the cage across from mine, where a young toddler was squirming in pain.

He was an absolute failure. He would twitch rapidly, and he always breathed sharply, wheezing and coughing. I overheard his lungs didn't work right. Also, his skin was scaly in some places, and pale and flaky in others. He had beady little eyes, which begged for help.

I couldn't help him though, so I just folded my white rabbit ears down meekly and closed my eyes.

From the cage next to me, I overheard Bella slam into her cage door, grwoling. She was trying to get out. She always tried to gave out. Even after seventeen years in this place.

The gasps of pain stop, and I whisper, "Goodbye, little boy."

Bella pauses, "That one was young." With a snarl, she slammed on her cage again. It fell over, the cage now laying sideways on the laboratory floor.

I whisper, "Bella, you need to be careful." I look at her, her long, wavy wisps of dark brown hair hanging in front of her jade green eyes. She was scared, on the inside. We all were. Bella, though, was the bravest out of all of us. She was noble. I respected her.

She glances up at the scientists, approaching rapidly with their loud shoes, "Wait... Wait..." One of them picked the crate up, opening the door. Bella jumped out, zooming towards the exit. She was trying to escape.

I winced as her shock collar turned on. She falls, and the scientist drags her away.

I wince. Hadn't Bella survived enough tests?

However, before I could even wonder if she would be okay, she was simply back "Bella," I looked up with wide eyes, "What did you do?"

She grins brightly, fumblind with the lock, sliding a metallic gray key card through the slot, "I kicked him and stole this. I already set Dan free. Let's go, Ginny!"

The door opened, and I almost stepped out, "What about the chips? They'll just track us." Yes, we knew about the lovely little microcihps implanted in our arms, thanks to a previous escapee.

"We can run," Bella urges, her green eye sdarting around nervously, "Better than staying in a cage all your life."

I had to admit, she had a point. "Alright," I hop out of the cage, ripping the thin metal collar off of my neck. Those scientists never imagined super enhanced muscles would come back to bite them in the butt.

Bella rips hers off as well, grinning broadly, one of her little cheetah ears twitching in anticipation.

I bolt forward, immediatly opening all the latches, although I could already hear the alarm bell, "I won't leave them here."

"Fine," Bella responds, "but they'll have to survive on their own. We can't be on the run with sixty kids."

I finally find the cage I was looking for, and pull out a little boy with curly, dark brown hair, sky blue eyes, and little fox ears. I suddenly feel like I'm going to cry, "Well, I'm bringing this one." I say it in a way that makes it absolutely definite.

Bella races out, into the forest and past some incredibly confused guards, and I follow her, the little boy clinging to my side.

"Where are we going?" I shout, a few of the guards beginning to transform. Erasers.

I suddenly spot Dan, looking a little worn and torn but overall seeming alright. He yells, "Anywhere but here!" He flaps his long, black wings to catch up with us. Thank you, superspeed genetic alterations.

I spot an eraser, and i jump in the air, soaring up at least twenty feet. I land, probably crushing his skull with my foot. Whoops.

I look over to see Bella and Dan taking on erasers. More were appearing fast. The boy's little fists tightened on my filthy gray shirt, and I shouted, "Forget them! We gotta move!"

I heard the whiz of a few bullets, but the erasers were no match for our speed. We bolted off before they could even hope to catch us.

Running through the woods, I grin broadly, "Which way?" We were out. We were sincerily out of that place. This was my first time seeing the real woods. I'd heard of the outside, mainly listening to chitterchatter from the scientists.

Bella turns sharply, and Dan and I follow her, "East!"

Dan nods, flying directly over the tree tops, "We're clear."

"So," I sigh as the boy shifts between my shoulder blades, "Where to?"

Bella grins, "I was thinking a beach house in Florida. It's off season."

I giggle softly, "Won't the owners be surprised? Can't stay for too long. A little house hopping never hurt anyone."

Bella nods, "We should have about two months until owners begin returning."

Dan shouts from above, "Without considering erasers, being reported to the police, money, food, and everything else. But you know, other than that, we're golden."

"Of course," Bella sighs, "It can never be easy, can it?"

"Yeah," I speak up, "Because heaven forbid a group of mutilated children escaping from their cruel captivity should have it easy."

She laughs softly, "We should hit the road. First though, feed the kid."

As if on que, his stomach rumbles. I grin, "Right, where would we find any food?" The suppliment pills have left my knowledge of what tastes good surprisingly blank.

"It would be good to find out what he likes." Bella looks ahead.

I bite my lip thoughtfully, "If he could respond, I'd ask. Let's find a town."

She nods, "Let's go. Stay under the radar. Maybe find a hat. We need money."

I smile softly, "Well, I'd hate to make a living stealing, but if we have to..."

She grins, "No money, no food. So, let's go rob people. Don't bring the kid."

The kid glares, and I set him down, "Right. Stay here, Gabriel. I'll be right back, with some food, okay? Stay hidden."

"Sorry, kid," Bella grins, "But we can't steal, run, and have to carry you at the same time. When you're older, you can come. Let's go."

I had to admit, it was pretty freaking scary. This was my first time outside of the lab. This would be my first time dealing with normal people. You know, the kind that didn't want to slice my brain open and see how I worked.

I didn't know if I was excited or scared.

__

A/N: Short escaping chapter. More will come soon, probably tomorrow or Friday. So, vote and comment. Why do you think Ginny brought Gabriel along?

Because this story may get confusing, I'll mark characters so far, okay?

Bella:

Gabriel:

Dan:

Ginny:

More to come. A lot more.