New Threats

Chapter Two

"Right," I glanced around the forest. Gabriel had stayed behind, after I made sure he'd stay hidden, "So what state are we in?"

"I don't know," Bella shrugged, glancing off into the distance, "We'll just keep walking and see if there's something that will help us identify the state. And, you know, civilization."

"I guess. Pretty scenery here," I remark.

"Yeah. Maybe Oregon or Washington or something?" Bella offers.

I shrug, following her through the forest, "I don't know many states. I mean, I never really tried to learn them. Never thought I'd get out, you know?" I sigh, exasperated, "There must be a town somewhere around here."

Suddenly, I hear a twig crack. Close by. My rabbit ears twitch, "Bella, did... Did you hear that?"

She glances around, "Hear what?"

A woman steps out, dirty blonde hair pinned in a bun, and piercing gray eyes hidden behind thin, wiry glasses. She smiles, smoothing her long, white labcoat, "Hello." White coat. Whitecoat.

I jump backwards, raising my hands in a defensive position, "Get away! I mean it!"

She smiles softly, "Hm. It appears you don't understand."

I shout, now offended, "Don't smile at me! You tortured us!" There were a lot of things I didn't understand, mainly because I was trapped in a cage for my entire life. Thanks for bringing back those memories, Dr. Creep.

She raises an eyebrow, that condescending smile still on her face, "Was it I? Specifically? Am I as old as the rest?"

Bella gets into a fighting position, "Who cares? In about three seconds, I'll break your neck."

She raises her hands, "Fine. If you don't want an explanation, I won't give it to you. But I'll let you know, I'm not your enemy unless you let me be."

I bite my lip, "I... I don't... You are young, but... I've seen your face. You're still one of them. The thing I don't understand is how someone could watch us suffer!"

Bella sighs. I could tell she was just as tired of everything as I was, "Thirty seconds. Talk."

She speaks quickly, calmly, as if she'd practiced this before now, "I'm here to get rid of the School. I'm not trying to get you. My reasons, though, are classified." Shocker. The creepy bad guy always tells you what they're after, right? Wron'.

I narrow my eyes, "I don't believe you."

She sighs, "I've watched the suffering of those very dear to me, and I can take this. I'd be gone by now if I was weak. I don't have to be your enemy."

"You don't have to be," I muse, "But you are. Anyone who worked in that place is an enemy." This was an unquestionable fact of my life.

"You're so sure I worked there. If only you knew," She shakes her head, "My name is Raina."

"Well," I offer, quite reasonably, "Give me a good reason to trust you, and I might not break your face."

Bella chuckles.

Raina offers, "One good reason? I'm not sure what you'd think. I am an enemy of the School. So, that's it."

Bella spoke up, "Then why did you leave us there to suffer? If you're a friend, why didn't you help?"

"Blown," Raina hissed, "I'd be Blown. It's dangerous enough with what you already know." I'm curious as to what she assumed I already knew. Surely, it wasn't from this strange conversation.

Bella scowled, "An ally that's no help is of no use to me."

Raina insists, "I can help. I just need more infiltration before I can blow my cover."

"Well," I raise an eyebrow, "What do you want?" In the end, there's always a hidden motive. Always.

Raina smiles, "I want this torture, and the School, over." Yeah, I've decided. She was crazy. Not even fun crazy. She was creepishly, painfully, absolutely out there.

I frown, "I'm going to go get my brother." I stalk off, Bella following. At least we found out we weren't safe now, while I still had time to get Gabriel.

We ran in another direction, hoping for a city. A town. Something.

Bella grumbles, "Crazy scientist. What whitecoat wants to destroy the School? Isn't that their paycheck?"

I nod, pulling Gabriel as we ran, "Oh, you know, she's really a super nice reality show host. Her real name is Pongo, and she has a loyal ninja penguin army."

And then, because our luck is horrible, and there's someone up the on top of those clouds laughing at our misery, an eraser steps out from behind a few thick trees.

How in hell did I not hear him?

And then, because gravity is evil, I tripped over a tree root. Naturally, screaming and holding my hands in front of my face, "D-don't hurt me!"

You know, because asking nicely always works.

___

A/N: Cliffy. Hehe. So, yes, a crazy scientist. I lurve her. She's fun. And yes, gravity is evil.

Characters:

Bella:

Gabriel:

Dan: ? (Mysteriously vanished!)

Ginny:

Raina:

Mysterious Eraser: (OH NOEZ!!!)