liii. The Veil

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

chapter fifty three | the veil

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

KAYA AND JAEDEN found themselves, along with the other remaining conscious DA members (except Maddie, who was still in the Brain Room with Ron), in the sunken pit where the archway was during the very beginning of their adventure at the Ministry.

They'd been seized just as they'd entered by a fresh swarm of Death Eaters, and were now helplessly struggling to break free.

Diana was being held by three Death Eaters, one of which was covering her eyes so that she couldn't do her little light trick she'd performed back in the Brain Room. She wrestled and kicked, but nothing was working against the strength of those holding her — although she was giving them a tricky task of keeping her still.

"Potter, your race is run. Now hand me the prophecy like a good boy," drawled Lucius Malfoy, removing his mask.

"Let the others go and I'll give it to you!" Harry said desperately.

A few of the Death Eaters laughed.

"You are not in a position to bargain, Potter," said Lucius Malfoy, his pale face flushed with pleasure. "You see, there are ten of us and only one of you... or hasn't Dumbledore ever taught you how to count?"

"He's not alone!" Neville shouted, despite being held still by one of the Death Eaters. "He's still got me — still got us!"

"It's Longbottom, isn't it?" sneered Lucius Malfoy. "Well, your grandmother is used to losing family members to our cause... your death will not come as a great shock."

"Longbottom?" repeated Bellatrix, and a truly evil smile lit her gaunt face. "Why, I have had the pleasure of meeting your parents, boy."

"I KNOW YOU HAVE!" roared Neville, and he fought so hard against his captor's encircling grip that the Death Eater shouted, "Someone Stun him!"

"No, no, no," said Bellatrix. She looked alive with excitement as she glanced at Harry, then back at Neville. "No, let's see how long Longbottom lasts before he cracks like his parents... unless Potter wants to give us the prophecy."

Kaya's mouth dropped open with horror.

"DON'T GIVE IT TO THEM!" roared Neville, who seemed beside himself, kicking and writhing as Bellatrix drew nearer to him and his captor, her wand raised. "DON'T GIVE IT TO THEM HARRY!"

Bellatrix raised her wand. "Crucio!"

Neville screamed, his legs drawn up to his chest so that the Death Eater holding him was momentarily holding him off the ground. The Death Eater dropped him and he fell to the floor, twitching and screaming in agony.