xxiii. Freddy, My Love

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

chapter twenty three | freddy, my love

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

THE GOOD THING about the summer holidays was that you could do one thing throughout the whole day, if you really wanted to. And that was what Kaya did, after learning that the best way at coping with the loss of Cedric was to try and distract herself as much as she could.

So she threw herself into making up melodies on both her guitar and the family piano the Bennett's had downstairs, and even began writing little poems that could later be developed into songs. If she was going to actually start considering being a musician, then the best way to begin was practicing, right?

She wrote about many things - the Yule Ball, her friends... embarrassingly for her, Fred Weasley had many features - although, she had one rule about all her works, and that was the fact that nobody's name was mentioned. Ever. She saw it as a little game, to see if anyone could work out she was writing about them.

Although, if Fred ever worked out the many notes based off of him, Kaya might just die of embarrassment. She just had to make sure nobody got their hands on her notebook - that couldn't be too hard, though, she'd just put a spell on it so nobody could read it except her. Besides, all her writing needed some developing - it was all a bit shit, right now, she had to admit. But, practice makes perfect, and if she put in the work, she was sure she'd be able to succeed in making them all better.

Eventually, Kaya brought herself to write about Cedric. She thought it would be hard, but it was surprisingly quite easy - although it took many tries to get a structure, as her words had poured out like a waterfall into a river - they were messy and disjointed, and took up multiple pages before she could start fitting them all into a 'poem'.

She cried a little as she wrote about her friend, the stabbing pain in her heart resurfacing as she did so. Why had nobody ever said before that when it 'hurts' they never meant metaphorically? She'd always thought it was metaphorical, like a mental thing. She was so taken aback at learning how when you lose someone close to you it physically hurts, for real. She couldn't quite wrap her head around it. How can an emotional feeling cause such physical pain?

The girl was struggling to put lyrics like 'Take my pain' and 'everything's so heavy' into one. Perhaps she'd have to divide them into two different songs - she wasn't too sure, yet. Just getting her feelings down was what was important right now. She could develop it all when she was in a better state of mind and had more experience in writing these lyrics - because it wasn't easy, that's for sure.

However, she couldn't help but notice how comforting writing it all down was. Why had she never done this before?

One thing still playing on her mind was that she hadn't written back to Fred yet. He'd put his address under the letter so she could, if she wanted to. And the truth was, she did want to. She really did, but she had no idea what to say, or where to begin.