10 - One Coffee and One Evie to go, Please.

The three finally arrive at the Bittersweet Café. They were sitting together in the parking lot in Paul's car. Leon turned to his best friend and asked, "Any words of wisdom for me man?"

"Yeah," Paul said, "just be your irritating helpful self. I'm sure she'll cave in eventually and come with you."

"Riveting words of encouragement for me there Paul. You should really win an award for that one."

Paul shrugged. "I do what I can. What can I say?" Paul started laughing and punched his friend lightly in the arm. "Hey bro, just be yourself. Otherwise, what's the point of all of this, right?"

Leon nodded. "You're right man, thanks!"

Mia spoke up from the backseat to Leon, "If she can just see the real you that I saw. The person that's already helped me out so much this year, I'm sure you'll have nothing to worry about!"

"Mia..." He thanked them both for their kind words. "You two behave yourselves until I get back! Or don't, I mean it is Homecoming after all!"

They both said in unison, "LEON! -"

He opened the car door chucking and left before the two could finish. He began to walk towards the Café. Feelings of anxiety and worry started to flood into every part of his mind.

"Hey, calm down! It'll all work out. You came here for a reason, right? So, let's do it!"

The boy opened the door to the Café and walked inside. Leon saw the barista working there that he recognized. "Hey Melanie! Is Evie working tonight?"

"Oh! It's you Leon, good to see you!" Melanie replied. "What are you doing here? I thought there was a Homecoming dance going on tonight? -"

Melanie started to put two and two together. "Oh, I see. Yeah, she is! She's over there cleaning up."

Leon asked, "Would you mind if I talked to her for a couple of minutes?"

"Well, it doesn't seem too busy in here right now," Melanie told him, "and she hasn't taken a break yet so sure, Leon!"

"Thanks a bunch! You're a lifesaver!"

Leon saw Evie and started to head over to her. His heart felt like it was tied in a knot. The feelings and emotions he had were so tangled up that he could feel it in his throat. He mustered up the courage to put his hands over his mouth, and called out to her, "HEY! Evie!"

Evie looked up in disbelief at Leon standing there. Her heart skipped a beat. She noticed his attire from the dance and couldn't help but laugh. "What's that you're wearing pretty boy? Real cute."

"Yeah yeah, I get it." Leon said. "I'm just coming from the dance, you know, the thing I thought you were going to. Mia's worried about you. I've been worried about you!"

Evie's expression changed. Leon continued, "Sorry for just showing up here like this but I want you to come have fun with us, we all do. What do you say-"

"Not here Leon," Evie interrupted, "let's talk outside for a few minutes."

He nodded. "Okay, that's fine! I'm all ears."

Evie told Melanie she was going to take a quick break and went outside to talk to Leon. It was cold outside, and you could feel a slight chill in the air. He could also feel a chill coming from Evie's demeanor as well.

"Look Leon," Evie said looking annoyed, "you shouldn't have come all the way out here for me. You're wasting your time. I'm not interested."

The boy wasn't phased. "What exactly aren't you interested in? Hanging out with Mia and all of us together? Or is it me?"