8 - Homecoming Weekend

Another week passes by in the blink of an eye. Before the students knew it, it was Friday afternoon. A fire was lit in the hearts of the kids looking forward to Homecoming weekend. The overwhelming excitement of the unknown ran throughout the student body.

The hallways were packed, Evie was slowly but surely approaching Mia's locker. The two of them went back and forth talking about their days. After a while the halls slowly died down. Evie and Mia's heads turned around when they heard a voice that they couldn't mistake for anyone else.

"Yoo-hoo! Why if it isn't two of my BFF's." Haley called out. "Aweee are you two hanging out today after school together?! No way! You ladies just HAVE to let me join you!"

Mia smiled at Haley when she saw her. Evie looked a little irritated. "Oh great, blondie you're here too huh? For what honor do the two of us owe your presence?"

"Awe don't be like that Evie! I just saw you two and wanted to hang out a little together! C'mon now. We never really get to outside of school much, pleaseeeee."

Mia looked happy to see Haley and wanted to include her. "It's okay Evie, she can hang with us two!"

"You sure Mia?" Evie asked. "Well, okay if that's what you want. Sure, why not? But don't get too close to me blondie! I don't want your peppiness infecting me. Ughhh, just thinking about it is making me nauseous."

Haley laughed. "Omg! You're so silly Evie! What am I gonna do with you?"

"I'd prefer it if it was nothing..."

Haley had an idea and told the other two, "I know! How about the three of us go around and check out the stalls together! It would be fun! I hear one of them is making funnel cake. It sounds soooo yummy!"

Mia said with excitement, "That sounds delicious! I wanna try it!"

Haley replied, "Right BFF? And then after that we can all watch Paul and Leon's game together. What do you say ladies?"

Evie just remembered that Leon was playing today. "Oh yeah that's right. He did mention that the other day. I've just been so busy lately I totally forgot. I don't think it would hurt to check it out..."

She looked at Haley. "Fine blondie, as long as Mia is cool with it, I'm down."

"Wellllll how do you feel about it, Evie? Don't you wanna see Leon play?"

"Huh?" Evie replied. "Why would that matter to me?"

"Oh, don't be so shy now!" Haley grew more intense. "You know he has a crush on you, right?"

"And? So what if he does?"

Haley got set off. "Huh? You don't care if Leon does like you or not? Soooo you're saying you don't feel the same way then?" Haley grew a malicious grin on her face. "Welllll, if that's the case, then you wouldn't mind if I asked him to dance tomorrow night-"

Evie suddenly grabbed Haley's shirt gently from behind. She said to Haley quietly, "Just drop it blondie, we'll leave it at that."

"I-I see..." Haley replied.

Mia grew concerned and started to speak up, "Hey! How about the three of us go check it out around the school! I'm sure there's probably some cool stuff up by now! C'mon now you two, it would be a lot of fun!"

Evie and Haley looked up to see Mia's innocent smile. It seemed to change the mood as the other two agreed to check out the school together. The trio set out on a sightseeing adventure around the school.

They stopped by various stalls and places, as the girls tried a lot of different foods. Leftover remains of funnel cake and popcorn still fresh on their lips. They also engaged with throwing balls at a dunk tank, accompanied by the sounds of the kids falling in splashing. The atmosphere of the school was lively with everyone having a great time.