3 - Friendly Appetite

The morning bell began to echo throughout the school. It was becoming impossible to miss by everyone there.

Ringggg. Ringggg.

The bell goes off again. Leon grabbed his backpack as he was exiting the classroom and headed for the cafeteria. The halls were packed. Students were back-to-back to one another. Noises and voices were reflecting down the hallways.

Leon finally made it to the cafeteria. He opened the door and looked around for any familiar faces. He saw Paul sitting with some of his basketball teammates. He looked relieved and scouted around a bit more. Haley was sitting with some of her friends as well.

"It looks like she hasn't noticed me yet. Thank goodness."

He saw no signs of Evie, the girl from the morning, anywhere. He began to walk towards Paul and his teammates with a smile on his face. Paul saw Leon approaching the group.

"Ayo! Leon's here too huh?" He called out. "What a lucky break we all got! Come sit down you gentle giant you!"

Leon began to sit down around his friends. Paul asked him, "How's your classes been bro? I haven't seen you since this morning." Paul started to laugh. "Man, what a fun way to start the school year, wouldn't you say?"

"Feels like Paul is always laughing about something doesn't he?"

He told Paul, "Yeah yeah, it's good to see you too ya big oaf, and the boys of course."

Leon waved to his teammates. "It's also good to see Haley sitting with her other friends, hopefully she'll be too busy to notice us."

Paul started to look around the cafeteria. He replied, "Yeah, I saw that too. I also haven't seen that girl Evie in here, or Mia."

Paul said that as he saw a girl sitting by herself in the corner of the cafeteria. She was a cute Hispanic girl wearing an 80's attire.

Paul knocked on his friend's shoulder, "Hey Leon, isn't that...?"

Leon looked up and saw Mia sitting by herself. He became worried. "Oh no! Maybe she got a bad rep after what happened this morning."

He looked over at Paul and his friend looked back. Leon told his basketball teammates, "Sorry guys, there's something I gotta do."

"Same with me." Paul said right after.

The two got up and began to walk over to where Mia was sitting. Some people started to look up. They began to stare and whisper to their friends about what was happening. The cafeteria became abuzz even more so than usual. The two approached Mia with a smile on their faces.

Leon spoke up, "Hey there Mia! Whatcha eating?"

Paul said in a playful manner, "Oh being a good little student too, aren't we?"

Mia looked up and felt a sigh of relief but also worried that she was going to hurt the two by being seen with her. "Oh he... hey you two! Um... maybe you shouldn't sit with me-"

Leon cut her off, "Man, this day is really flying by isn't it, you guys?"

Paul replied, "Yeah, my dude I'd say! I feel like all the teachers are saying the same as the last, blah blah blah I'm so and so, let's just have a good year!"

Paul began to make impressions and faces of the teachers. Mia and Leon couldn't help but laugh.

Some thoughts popped into Mia's head, "I get it now. These two just wanted to cheer me up. They really are good guys. Maybe we could even be friends..."

Suddenly, another girl pulled up to the table, a certain blonde they all knew.

"My my my, what am I going to do with you two boys?" Haley said interrupting. "Causing another ruckus on your first day again." The girl put her head down and slowly exhaled.

Leon's nerves began to build. "Haley! What are you doing here?"

"Oh, my darling Leon," the blonde answered, "why I came to see you of course! Just kidding!" Haley stuck her tongue out.

After she reeled her tongue back in, Haley started to explain. "You guys looked like you were having a blast, so I wanted to join! And besides...", Haley looked away kind of embarrassed, "...Mia looked like she could use another friend."

Everyone was speechless. Leon said shocked, "Haley-"

She interrupted him, "Well, anyways! Whatcha guys gossiping about? Anything good?"

"Oh no!" Mia said shyly. "We weren't talking about much!"

Paul chimed in, "Yeah, just normal first day stuff you know Haley. Introductions, school material lists, and all that yada yada yada."

"Ughhh I know righttt!" Haley said back. "The first week is always so boringgg!" She got an idea in her head. "I know! Why don't the four of us hang out this weekend! Maybe go to an actual Café, you know? Get some food and chill."

Mia's eyes began to light up with excitement. "That sounds like fun! But I wouldn't want to impose on your plans."

Paul look interested. "Yeah, why not! Sounds like a fun way to kill some time!"

Haley muttered, "Sounds like another way to kill your brain cells..."

"Hey!" Paul snapped, "This was YOUR idea, Haley! Sheesh."

The group of four began to laugh together. Haley asked Leon, "Well Prince Charming, what do you say?"

He replied, "Well I mean, if Mia wants to do it then sure. I think it would be fine-"

"Yippee!" Haley cried out in joy.

"But don't get any funny ideas Haley, I'm serious!" The boy told her.

"Aweee, you're no fun Leon ya big idiot." Haley exclaimed.

Paul said, "Oh, you two are always so funny. Just like old times!"

Leon replied, "Hey! Don't be starting that again now. And besides, can't call it old times anymore with our new friend here, Mia!"

Mia had a look of overwhelming joy on her face, almost as if she was about to cry. She got teary eyed and tried to hide her face.

"Mia! I'm sorry if that upsets you!" Leon told her.

The girl slowly turned back around after a moment. "No, it's okay!", Mia said wiping her tears away. "I'm just so... happy, to have people to call me their friends."

The other three looked at each other and smiled. Haley told her, "Of course, we are sillllly! We're besties now! I knowww, we should exchange phone numbers. We can even set up a group chat! It would be easier to plan things ya know?"

Paul stared at Haley with a shocked look on his face. She snapped at him, "What are you staring at ya weirdo?"

Paul told her, "I'm just surprised you actually came up with a good idea, you know, for being such a ditzy blonde and all."

"HUHHHHH?!" Haley cried out. She smacked Paul on the back of the head.

"Ow, hey! Cut that out I'm just saying!" Paul explained.

"Yeah, laugh at that monkey boy." Haley crossed her arms while Leon and Mia were dying of laughter. Leon agreed with Haley's plans as well.

Leon was having a great time with his friends, but there was a certain someone he couldn't get off his mind...

"Evie. Where did she come from? What's her deal? I could tell she doesn't trust people I just wonder why. Hopefully I'll get to see her again..." Little did Leon know that time would be in the not-so-distant future.

After the trio got Mia's number, they set up a group chat to keep in touch. They kept talking with one another during the rest of the lunch period. The eyes that were originally staring at Leon and Paul for sitting with Mia began to disappear. Like a forgettable background. As if the only thing that was important was the four hanging out.

All while this was unfolding, A mysterious figure was watching them from afar. "Interesting..." the person thought, "Let's see how this plays out."