𝟎𝟕: 𝐇𝐚𝐳𝐞𝐥 𝐄𝐲𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐋𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐧 𝐏𝐢𝐞𝐬

* * * * 

* * * * 

September  20, 1976

"Piss off Potter, this has nothing to do with you," Avery snapped.

"Avery, be nice," Evanna said furrowing her brow.

"No, he's butting into business that isn't his."

James put his hands up as a sign of surrender. "Look I'm sorry, I was just trying to help."

"No, James you're fine," Evanna said. Sirius stood behind James in a protective stance with an eyebrow raised in challenge. 

"Why are you letting him into this, Evanna?"

"Because he's just trying to help."

"Oh, so you're defending him now?" Avery's face was flushed with anger.

"We've been over this. You need to stop being so rude to everyone."

Avery started to walk away in frustration but Jack caught his shoulders and turned him around, "C'mon, Aves, you're not done."

The headstrong Gryffindor boy grumbled under his breath and then after a moment he said, "Look, Evie m'sorry for overreacting, I know you like... Diggory," he said the last name lower so only she could hear it. "It's just...my 'brother' instinct, I guess."

Evie knew this was hard for him, especially in front of other people but he was trying his best and that's all that really mattered in the end.

"It's alright, Aves," she said. "Should we, uh, head in?"

The friend group agreed and so they started walking to their belongings when James stopped Evanna.

"Hey, Chase," she turned around to face him, chocolate brown eyes meeting hazel. "You okay?"

"Yeah," she responded with a small smile. "I'm perfectly fine."

"Uh, I know it's not any of my business," he started while scratching the back of his neck. "But who were you guys talking about?"

By now Sirius and Peter were otherwise occupied, already bored from the conversation prior. But Remus noticed how James didn't act like his usual cocky self around Evanna and he didn't read too much into it. But he should have.

"Oh, um," Evanna blushed. "Amos Diggory asked me to go to Hogsmeade with him. That's all."

James surprisingly felt a little pang in his chest at her words, but he just said, "Oh, that's nice. You guys gonna go this Saturday?"

"Yeah, I think so." Evanna started walking over to her stuff and James followed. "You guys gonna go this weekend, too?"

James smiled. "Of course. My boys and I have to stock back up on dung bombs."