13. Victory Party

 Malka keeps to herself as the Avengers mill about Tony's party. It warms her heart to see the people she deems friends laughing and smiling with others, but, at the same time, her throat goes dry at the idea of ever being that comfortable around others.

She walks around in her navy pantsuit. At first, she had been hesitant about the spaghetti straps but decided to try it and wrapped some gauze around her wrist. Some veterans invited to the party had asked; she replied with excuses and held her arm closer.

Even as the party begins to wind down, Malka finds herself secluded by the window overlooking New York. During their first mission, Malka had this view in the seconds she took to grab Loki's scepter before returning to the roof. It truly is a beautiful city.

Inhaling sharply, Malta clears her throat and asks, "You just gonna stand there forever or what, Rogers?"

He chuckles as he steps up beside her, a drink in hand. "How'd you know I was there?"

"I always do." She allows herself to force a smile and clink her glass against his. "Congrats on getting the spear back. It must be a relief to have Strucker in custody. Finally over, right?"

Steve shrugs. "Something like that. Almost don't believe it."

"Understandable."

"How are you doing, Malka?"

She purses her lips and sighs. "Just figuring some stuff out. Working on some formulas and traveling a bit. I, uh, heard recently an old friend of mine passed away."

"Sorry for your loss," Steve nods his head. "I didn't think you had many friends."

Malka playfully arches her brow and sighs. "Yeah. We, uh, we met on a train, actually. Known him since I was sixteen. Hill was telling me about the enhanced, and I went snooping on her tablet. Died a while back, but I've been distracted, I guess. I should've gone to see him before he died."

With a frown, Steve adjusts his stance. "How long?"

"Just before New York." Pain numbs her heart as she stares out over the city. "Don't even know if he ever found out I was still alive. Either way, maybe he's found a bit of peace this life just doesn't offer." Silence falls on them as Malka's grip on her glass tightens. "Sorry. Uh, any, uh, any news on our missing person's case? Sam find anything?"

She shouldn't feel happy that Steve shakes his head, but she does. Sam had been vigilant and almost found her partner multiple times; Malka intervened. "Nothing yet. Surprised you're not looking."

Who said I wasn't? "There are other important things to worry about. Namely the fact that your government keeps trying to keep me grounded. I get stopped all the time at airports. Something about being a flight risk?"