3. Observing the Captain

 Something itches in the back of Steve's mind every time he sees the agent who practically lured him onto this ship. Every time she speaks, she becomes more of an enigma, more of a shadow in an organization that already works in the dark.

He does not like it.

As Steve walks through the halls, he thinks back to the file he had read on her. M Laska. Polish. Born a few years after he was, yet she doesn't look a day over twenty-five. Other than that, the rest of the information was redacted.

She seems to avoid him, tense her muscles when he nears, her eyes always watching him. He is not stupid enough to mistake the agent for someone who is curious. Something deeper lies in her dark eyes as if waiting to pounce at the right moment.

His thoughts dissipate when he glances into Banner's lab to see Tony Stark shock him. "Hey!" He shouts, stomping into the lab. "Are you nuts?"

"Jury's out," Tony replies before turning to Banner. "You really have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz, bongo drums, huge bag of weed?"

"Is everything a joke to you?" Steve asks, narrowing his eyes. He could tolerate Howard much more than this man.

"Funny things are."

"Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship isn't funny. No offense, Doc."

"No, it's alright," Banner waves a hand. "I wouldn't have come aboard if I couldn't handle pointy things."

Tony shakes his head. "You're tip-toeing, big man. You need to strut."

Steve fights to urge to scream. "And you need to focus on the problem, Mister Stark."

"You think I'm not? Why did Fury call us in when he already has Laska who could probably figure this out in a day? Why now, why not before? What isn't he telling us? I can't do the equation unless I have all the variables."

"You think Fury's hiding something?" Steve asks.

"You don't?"

Steve straightens his back and glances behind him as Agent Laska steps up beside him with her arms crossed and her face shining with a thin layer of sweat. She stares at him with her lips almost curled back into a sneer. "You'd be stupid to think the director of a shadow organization in the government isn't hiding something."

"Correct, Malka." Tony grins.

The woman blinks.

"Oh, right, I unredacted your file."

If looks could kill, Tony Stark would be gone. She stares at him as if willing flames to appear on his head. "Good for you. Good thing the real one can't be hacked."

Tony rolls his eyes. "I will figure you out eventually, Mal."

"Don't call me that."

"Oh, now I totally will."