25. Friend Against Friend

 Malka slept the whole ride to the airport, even in the cramped car Steve had chosen to transport them. She can still feel the imprint of Bucky's metal arm around her when she wakes with a small inhale, looking around at the abandoned parking lot and the white van next to them.

"Are we getting kidnapped?" She mutters before snuggling further into Bucky's shoulder. It is difficult to hide the natural accent in her voice as she speaks.

"No," Bucky chuckles. "We're getting out. Come on."

"Do we have to?" Malka sighs as she climbs out of the car and stretches her legs, arching her back before her eyes land on the two people exiting the van. "Barton?"

Barton grins as she approaches. "Hey, kid. Bit of a mess, huh?"

"It wouldn't be a mess if humanity could stop grabbing for power," she quips before she passes right by him to hug Wanda tightly. "Hey, kochanie. Been a long time."

Wanda tightens her grip on Malka, whispering, "Missed you, Malka."

When they pull away, Malka can't help but trail her eyes down Wanda's body. She looks healthy, well-fed with color blooming on her cheeks. It warms Malka's heart as she steps back.

"How about our other recruit?" Steve asks.

"Other?" Malka frowns.

"He's rarin' to go," Barton replies as he opens the van door. "Had to put a little coffee in him, but..." Malka narrows her eyes at the middle-aged man who jerks away. "He should be good to go."

"What time zone is this?" The man asks as he climbs out. When he sees Steve, his eyes go wide. "Captain America." He shakes Steve's hand.

"Mr. Lang." The two continue shaking hands even as Malka snorts and moves back to lean against the small car, exchanging a look of amusement with Bucky.

"It's an honor. I'm shaking your hand too long." He pulls back. "Wow. This is awesome!" He turns back to Wanda and Clint. "Captain America. I know you too. You're great!" He sighs and holds Steve by the shoulders. "Jeez, ah, look, I want to say, I know you know a lot of super people, so thanks for thinking of me. Hey, man!"

Sam smiles. "What's up, tic tac?"

"Ah, good to see you. Look, what happened last time when I—"

"It was a great audition, but it'll never happen again."

"Did someone pull the Falcon's feathers?" Malka asks with a small laugh.

"Oh, hi!" The man waves. "I'm Scott."

"Hi, Scott." She can tell by the look in his eye that Bucky must have waved as she speaks because Scott's face loses a bit of color and he moves back a step. "I'm Malka. This is Bucky."