Chapter Four: Never say "I Can't"

Tomorrow night is the night of the ball. Everyone was talking about it. About their dresses, the prince, their worries and their excitement.

But me?

I sit in my room, grounded because I "stole Coleen's hair brush and won't give it back" so I've had to stay in my room all night. With no meals.

I sit anxiously at my window, waiting for the sun to go down. Waiting for everyone to go to sleep so I can go to my garden. So I can see PJ and tell him I can't. I can't go. I can't dress up and have a dance with him. I can't meet the prince. I sigh as my body grows heavier the more the sun goes down.

"Good night!" I hear every one yelling to each other from downstairs.

"Good night." I whisper to the sun as I watch it hide behind the trees.

As soon as the house is silent and the moon has risen I quietly open my window and slide down the roof where Charlie is waiting for me. I glide off the roof and onto him.

"Come one Charlie. To the garden." I say sadly. I wasn't looking forward to telling him I couldn't come. If he was even there.

Charlie slows to a stop. Eyeing Giselle suspiciously.

"She's a friend." I say nicely and feel Charlie relax.

I slide off of Charlie and walk over to Giselle.

"Did you run away from PJ again?" I ask playfully as I pet her.

"Surprisingly, she didn't." I hear PJ say from afar.

I wave to him, feeling all of my worries drowned by his presence.

"I'm surprised to find you here." I say sarcastically with a smile.

"Well, I just had to see you again. I'd figured I'd find you here. By the way, what are you wearing to the ball?" He asks brightly.

I feel my body become heavy. And his smile is replaced with worry.

"You are coming... Right?" He asks, moving towards me.

"I'm sorry. But I can't." I sadly admit.

"Why not?" He asks getting closer to me.

"I have to much work to do and Dianne won't let me." I sigh.

"Never say I can't." He smiles. "I'm looking forward to seeing you at the ball." He bows, gets on his horse and rides away without saying another word.

"See you at the ball." I whisper to myself.

I silently ride home on Charlie. He drops me off and leaves like usual. I sneak through the house to my room like I usually do. But instead of plopping onto my bed like usual, I open my bedroom door to find Madam Dianne waiting by the window.

"It's a lovely night. Is it not?" She turn toward me as I sit on my bed. "And where were you?" She asks meanly.

"In the kitchen." I lie.

"No you weren't. I watched you come out of the forest on that horse. You can't fool me girl." She walks out the door but before she closes it she adds "Your forbidden to go to the ball. Also, your grounded for tomorrow. No food and you'll remain up here the entire time. Understood?" I nod. "Good." she says and leaves.

I shove my face in my pillow and cry. I cry myself to sleep. Not caring who heard. It was official.

I can't go to the ball.