eight.

--

.one month and seven days ago.

"what's going on?! why can't we see harry anymore!?" bellowed james potter, pacing.

"he's probably in the loo," said sirius black, lazing on a couch and rolling his eyes. "damn, james, calm down."

"he's probably fine," said the fiery-haired potter who entered the room, carrying a tray of cups of tea. she passed one to each of the men in her room before taking the last one for herself. 

"yeah, you're right, lils- who is that?" asked james suddenly, lily and sirius followed his gaze to see a young girl walk in, blond hair flowing behind her and her blue eyes wide and scared. 

they were enveloped in foggy, thick white clouds. there were so many people up there, but there was enough space for all of them. the first wizarding war, and now the second one, meant so many people. but the more the merrier, right?

"she looks kind of like...pandora," said lily thoughtfully, tilting her head. she strode forwards to go greet the girl, as she did to all newcomers. "hello. my name is lily potter. what is your name?"

"i'm luna lovegood," she said sweetly. lily paled. last she saw, luna was only in her sixth year, she had so much life yet to live.

"is- is your mother-"

"LUNA!" bellowed a voice. the two turned and saw a woman with the same long blonde hair and mysterious blue eyes sprinting towards the young lovegood.

"mum!" exclaimed luna, her eyes welling up with tears. the two embraced and pandora stroked luna's hair, sobbing.

"my love," she sniffled, "you're so beautiful."

"mum," said luna, a tear slipping out of the corner of her eye, which her mum brushed away, ignoring her own tears.

"what happened, darling? you have so much life ahead of you."

"well...it's a long story, mum."

luna and pandora walked away, holding hands and talking, disappearing into a cloud of white vapor. james and sirius walked over to lily, james setting a hand on his wife's shoulder, knowing the emotions that the ginger woman must have been going through.

after being dead for so long, he knew she would never get used to seeing children- babies, sometimes- come up there, wondering where they were and having no one to help them understand. lily had thrown herself into the position of helping the ones who didn't have anyone, but she would never not be sad, spending sleepless nights thinking about them.

"she's only sixteen..." lily whispered.

"i know, love," james whispered, "i know."

it was a matter of time before another sixteen-year old came walking in, and this one, lily recognized instantly.

"ron weasley!" she exclaimed, almost running to him, "i'm lily! potter! harry's mum!"

"i'm sorry about my wife," said james quickly, appearing beside her.

"and i'm sorry about both of these shitheads- hey, ron! long time!" exclaimed sirius.