one.

--

elle lockhart dug through her bag frantically, positive she had seen her schedule for the day just minutes ago, but suddenly it was nowhere to be seen. swearing under her breath, she brushed her hair away from her face and felt into one of the pockets, breathing out a sigh of relief when her fingers felt paper. 

12:00, defense against the dark arts 

she frowned and ran a hand through her hair as her eyes darted up to see a blonde, blue-eyed lovegood smiling at her. 

"hello, elle!"

"hi, luna," elle said, shoving her schedule back into the bag. "what class do we have? my thing says defense but we don't have that on thursdays, right?"

"oh, my schedule also says we have defense," said luna thoughtfully. "maybe it's simply a schedule change."

"oh..." elle said hesitantly, but allowed herself to be led towards the defense against the dark arts classroom by her friend. 

--

"hey, what class have we got?" asked ron weasley, frowning at his schedule in the gryffindor common room. "i don't know shit, but i'm pretty positive we had potions at twelve."

"yeah, me too," said harry potter, equally confused. "hermio- hermione?" harry looked around, furrowing his eyebrows. "where'd she go?"

"must've gone up to defense," ron sighed, grabbing his bag. "c'mon, if we hurry up we can catch up to her and bribe her into giving us the answers for yesterday's potions homework."

"yeah, okay," said harry finally, shoving the schedule away and ignoring the thousand alarms that were going off in his head. 

--

"yes! defense with snape!" draco malfoy cheered from the inside of the slytherin common room, causing belle lestrange, who was sat on the couch opposite him, to raise her eyebrows.

"you hate defense."

"but it's snape, the dude who gives us, like, a thousand points for bullying potter and his stupid friends!"

"you're such a weirdo," pansy parkinson rolled her eyes irritably, "besides, are you guys daft or what? we've got charms now."

"haven't you checked your schedule?" said blaise zabini, raising an eyebrow. 

"no?"

"well, it says defense, clear as day," said blaise, showing the girl his own. pansy looked beyond confused. 

"what? but we've- we've charms at twelve on thursdays," said pansy, checking her watch. "i'm dead sure, we haven't got defense 'til tomorrow at two."

"read it and weep, parkinson," draco sang cheerfully, grabbing his bag. belle sighed and slung her bag over her shoulder. 

"it must just be a schedule change, no big d-"

"sorry!" exclaimed a voice. belle's gaze fell on hope diggory, who had just walked into her, a sheaf of paper on the floor. belle leant down and picked it up, handing it back to the hufflepuff who smiled gratefully. "thanks, lestrange."