Chapter 3-No mercy, murder

Waking up

Waking up...well, that in and of itself is surprising enough. You hadn't exactly expected to make it another day.

And yet, here you are.

Not only that, either. You feel better. Better than you have in days, strength coursing through your body, nausea gone entirely.
Only for it to come back in one fell swoop.
If you're feeling better, that can only mean one thing.

There's no announcement from Puppy or Kitty, but even that absence makes your stomach churn.

...

The elevator doors parted and Nikko stepped onto this floor. Her mind felt like stormy waters at sea, even if the poison had run it's course. She stared ahead at the floor.

She hadn't slept easy last night. How could you when you knew you and everyone else were on the brink of death? Even still, a guilt nagged at her, for dozing off. She'd planned to patrol the halls, but the overwhelming pain had stopped her, kept her chained to her bed. Weakness, she couldn't tolerate it in herself.

But that was the past, and this was the present.
There's nothing out of sorts, here in the common room. But even so, there's something that still doesn't feel quite right.

Nikko looked at the map of this floor.
A speakeasy, a casino, an art room, a game room. She paused, before walking over to the casino's door. Bright lights and counted cards, those places were hives of mirth and malice. She braced herself, before she pushed open the casino's door.

Strangely enough, there's a trail of books laid on the floor, leading to somewhere further into the Casino. Like a trail of breadcrumbs, she notes. It felt like mockery. Her lips curled back into a scowl as she followed the trail of books.
A set of heavy footsteps come to stop behind her.

"What a scene..." Molak mutters to himself.
Following like a line of ducks, Hatsuho drags their feet behind him. "What the fuck."

Diana makes her way through the elevator noticeably after anyone else due to her pit stop on the second floor. Spying Tanaka, she walks as quickly as she can to follow. The poison did a number on her system...

Swap's joining this little investigation crew. They're not far behind the others, but is keeping their distance. Plean is also here, nervously rubbing the lenses of their glasses with the hem of their shirt.
...

You all follow the trail, anxiety growing, before your eyes finally fall upon a sight you didn't want to see.

There, beneath the shelf...