Tongue tied ➵Newt Scamander

I have exams for the next few months so this will be the last one in a while ahhh

ok anyways, the reader here is mute, and all of the speech in sign language is in italics

uhh and this is not canon at all ok? Like at all

Thanks for sticking around for so long<3

➴ ➶➴ ➶➴ ➶➴ ➶➴ ➶

"Oh pssh, I'd pick Daniel over Fred any day. Have you seen those dimples?" Marie spoke, a hint of a smile on her face as she gazed at the grounds with a faraway look on her face.

You grinned, leaning forward to tap her on the shoulder to look at you as you signed with your hands slowly so she understood you, You're drooling a little bit there, Em. Although Marie knew sign language, she wasn't all that fluent and needed some time to make the connection between certain actions and words.

"Shut up," she rolled her eyes, composture nonchalant but her blushing cheeks gave it all away.

You raised your hands to sign something but were interrupted by a figure quickly dashing through, jolting your shoulder painfully, running after...a niffler? The fluffy black creature did its best to try and escape but the owner of the light brown mop of messy hair leapt onto the floor, grabbing it in one last movement.

You stared at him, rubbing your shoulder. He looked up, a sheepish grin on his face as he got up, the niffler now still in his arms as he stroked its back gently. He looked up, hazel eyes locking with yours for a long moment. He opened his mouth to say something to you but--

"MR. SCAMANDER! THAT NIFFLER IS SCHOOL PROPERTY!" said an angry voice and you turned to see your Care of Magical Creatures teacher standing there with an angry caretaker trailing behind her.

Oh. 

So that was Newt Scamander. You'd heard a lot of rumours. The sixth-year who had a knack for getting into trouble for trying to befriend magical creatures or trying to release them from their cages. The rumours failed to mention his kind hazel eyes and somehow innocently intoxicating grin though.

You saw him yelp hastily to run in the opposite direction and hid an amused smile, turning to find Maria already looking at you with her own amused tilt of a half-smile and raised eyebrows. You shook your head at her, averting your gaze.

✃ - - - - - - - - - - -

Ever since the day he ran into you in the courtyard, Newt has been seeing you everywhere. He usually didn't pay attention to anyone around him, too preoccupied with his own thoughts. But there was something about the way you laughed silently, your whole body shaking, or your expressive face and a wide smile that made him spot you everywhere.

He had been meaning to talk to you, he was, and he probably would have if it weren't for his pounding heart and ears and the way he froze around people, never mind pretty people like you. Rolf was the better people person among them anyways.