Chapter 43: Always Retreating

"Is she nuts?!" Momo yelled incredulously. "She wants us to-?!"

"Surrender, yes," Maho muttered in annoyance, not bothering to lift her gaze from the sands below her.

"Oh yeah?! Well, you can tell that tea-slurping snob that we're fighting to the end, and that she can take her offer of surrender and her tea and shove it all where the sun doesn't-"

"I already told her no..." Maho said shortly. She hadn't even considered the offer, although it hadn't been a conscious choice to disregard it either. She had simply answered on impulse, not even bothering to weigh her options.

"So then..." Yuzu said with relief, her eyes darting back and forth between Maho and Anzu. "We're still in the tournament? We haven't lost?"

"No, we're still playing,' Maho sighed. "She gave us a few hours to reconsider though..."

"Well, what are our odds of victory then?" Oryou asked.

"I don't know..." Maho said coldly.

"What's our gameplan, though?" Noriko asked. "Are we going for a cut shot into a dig?"

"I don't know," Maho said in a low, bitter voice. "They have more tanks than us. Better tanks. More training. More ammo. A superior position. They have the high ground. And we... we have nothing... There is no plan."

"So then..." Saori said worriedly.

"Does that mean we're just sitting here until they start firing again and finish us off?" Ayumi asked, confusion and worry building in her voice.

"If we're just sitting here, I'd rather we surrender," Caesar sighed and sagged down to the ground, sitting herself up against the StuG's treads in what little shade the assault gun could provide.

"We can't just give up now, can we?" Akebi asked in an unsure tone, looking to Noriko for what to do.

"Janus is right," Caesar replied and removed her scarf, before dousing it in some of the remaining water from her canteen and wrapping it around her head. "We're stuck here, and I'm exhausted from lugging all those shells in this heat. And I'm betting I'm not the only one."

"Yeah... me too..." Karina sighed, and collapsed beside the M3 Lee. "Steering the Lee gets really heavy after a while..."

"It's way too hot to play Sensha-Do any way..." Shinobu agreed, and wiped her forehead, sighing.

"Maybe we could play beach-volleyball though?" Taeko proposed.

"Not without a shower and a change of clothes first," Noriko sighed.

"Hey!" Sodoko yelled and pointed an accusatory finger at the volleyball team. "Don't get distracted! This is still a class, and you're supposed to fo-... to fo-..." Sodoko staggered backwards a step or two, and would have fallen over if not for her teammates catching her.

"Sodoko?!" Pazomi cried in worry.

"Are you okay?!" Gomoyo asked.

"I'm... I'm fi-... fine..." Sodoko stammered out as her two comrades from the Public Morals Committee helped her to the ground, putting her in the shade of the Char B1.

"Jeez, you're burning up," Yukari said as she held a hand against Sodoko's forehead, having rushed over to see if she could be of help.

"I'm fuh-... I'm f-fine!" Sodoko growled and pushed Yukari away, trying to sit herself up. "Get off me! I'm fine!"

"No, you're not," Yukari said firmly and pushed Sodoko back onto the ground. "If you're not careful you could get a heat stroke. Water," she added, and looked up at the other members of Heron team.