20 Questions

You lay in bed one saturday night, talking to your crush on the phone. It's really late and you're both tired, but hanging up before dozing off is never an option. His voice helps you sleep better and he says that your even breathing makes him dream more vivid dreams. So to stay awake longer, you start 20 Q's. You're halfway through now. It's your turn. You think for a little bit. "Ummm," you start. "Uh which is worse: lost in an ocean or lost in a desert?" He thinks about it. "Desert." he says. "No, no, no," you say. "The ocean is worse. Imagine dying of thirst while surrounded by water." He laughs. "Yeah, I guess that's pretty bad." he says. "Okay, my turn." he continues. He hums softly as he thinks of a new question. "Oh, I've got one. Movies or tv shows?" This one is easy. "Movies for sure." you say quickly. He chuckles at your quick response. "Okay, last question." he says to you. "Okay." you say back. You think about your last question. "I got it. This is a good one." He laughs at you. "Biggest regret?" you ask him softly, yawning after you say it. Almost a full minute passes before he responds, and you think for a moment that he fell asleep. But he speaks before you do. "Caring about what people thought about me before this year, when I got smart enough to realize no one cares." he says confidently. You smile. "That's a good answer." "Well thank you." he giggles. "Okay, your turn. Then we'll sleep." you say, barely able to keep your eyes open. He only takes a second before asking his question as if he has to ask now or he won't ever be able to. "Do you like someone?" he asks so quietly that you think you've misheard him. But you haven't. He's really asked the question. Your heart beats a bit faster and you're suddenly very awake. How should you answer? You don't know. But you know he's waiting, and if he asked, he must want to know. So you tell him the truth. "Yes. I have for a while now." you say as confident as you can. He waits for a few moments before responding. "Who?" he asks. You think fast, trying to avoid answering this question. "That's 21 questions." you say, laughing softly. "I don't care." he says almost strictly. "I want to know." he continues. You sigh and breathe deeply for just a second. "You." you say before you stop yourself. "I love you." you finish. You can't believe what you just said. You just try to breathe as you wait for his response. It feels like whole minutes pass in seconds. Has it been hours since you said that or does it just feel like it? You don't know. Just as you start thinking about hanging up and crying, he answers. "I love you, too." he tells you. Your chest fills with the warm air of your room and you smile largely. And when you feel like your world could not get better, he says, "I've loved you for quite some time."