Epilogue

The train whistled loudly as it surged forward and began moving, the landscape outside began to blur as it sped up and Aileen's eyes were glued to the window as she watched the scenery pass in a mess of colour.

A head dropped onto her shoulder and she turned to see Connor with shining eyes.

"Everything alright?"
She asked her Lord. He smiled fully,

"Everything's perfect, absolutely perfect,"

He said somewhat dreamily and she chuckled,

"You're in a good mood, aren't you?"
"Of course I am, the love of my life is off to change the world and I get to go with her and we are travelling to France. Then we're going to have a short holiday before returning for Alexander's wedding and Isabella's birthday. What else do I need?"
He said cheerily and Aileen smiled, though it dropped slightly,

"And children? Marriage?"
It was a worry in the back of her mind that continually prodded her thoughts, but Connor shook his head,

"No, I'll have nieces and nephews to spoil and who needs a wedding to celebrate my beloved if I can celebrate with her everyday instead?"

Aileen flushed at his cheerful speech and felt his emotions flood through her as well.

"How about a game of chess?"
He asked quietly and she nodded happily, turning to the table in front of her where the board was set up from their match a few hours prior.

As she sat herself in a more comfortable position, she felt a rush of pride when she remembered she was wearing black trousers with a white blouse and rust colored blazer instead of a gown, and instead of moccasins or pumps, she now wore formal boots. When they boarded the train earlier that day, rather than wearing annoyingly thin gloves and colourful cloaks, she wore an overcoat and thick riding gloves much like the Lord opposite her.

She smiled as she looked at the board, her black pieces had checkmated his white ones in the Fool's Mate. As she rearranged the pieces to their proper spaces, she thought to herself with a smile,

His father was probably the wisest of us all: there truly is nothing better than to love and to be loved.