Chapter XII

After the ball, Aileen wrote a letter to her mother, explaining that her brothers were staying at the Estate a while longer but she was going to travel to the Royal Palace with Connor for one more ball. She knew her mother would misunderstand this but she needed to tell her family where she was and at this point, she really didn't care what they thought.

And after that letter was sent, everything moved faster. Suddenly she was at the seamstress's chambers to prepare another ball gown. Then she was with her brothers to play chess. Then she was eating breakfast.

And now she was getting ready for the ball, a new gown resting on an armchair in her sitting room.

She took a long, deep breath and nodded to herself - I can do this.

Slowly she got dressed, careful with the luxurious gown that was much more expensive than anything else she owned. This event -unlike the ball at the Estrus Estate- had a theme, which turned out to be Night. So the gown was extravagant, extreme and expensive.

With the help of the seamstress and the Marquise's own lady-maid, she put on the gown and had her hair styled into a twisted chignon that was decorated with gold and silver, star-shaped beads and clips.

Her cheeks were rouged, lips painted burgundy and her eyes were given a dark lining and a silvery hue on her eyelids.

Her jewellery, to continue the extravagance, was a diamond set of dangling earrings and simple pendant necklace that rested just above the low neckline of the dress.

When she was dressed, her brothers visited and froze at the sight of her. Wesley was unmovable and Alexander, in an attempt to loosen his protective instinct that wanted her to stay here, bowed,

"Your Highness, I was not aware you were visiting today."

Aileen smiled nervously and ran her hands down the gown,

"Alright?"

She asked about her appearance and the brothers laughed disbelievingly,

"Alright? Alright? Aileen, you look positively magical. You will be the envy of all."

She nodded and looked at her reflection one last time,

"Alright, I guess, then, it is time to go."

Her brother gave her a tight embrace and she began her descent to the carriages, where Connor and his family were waiting, all also ready to go.

Connor stood nervously by his carriage, his velvet suit with golden embroidery shimmering in the candlelight as he watched the door for Aileen - he wasn't sure if she would even come, maybe she didn't want to anymore? Maybe she went home? Maybe he was a fool?

But the doors then opened and Aileen stood there like a queen regarding her subjects. Hair styled to perfection, dark lips pulled into a small smile and a breathtaking black dress shimmering; it was plain black but the sleeves and second-layer of her skirt were made of jewels held together like necklaces, diamonds, crystals, jade, sapphire, citrine, every sort of crystal covered her black dress and making her glow like a night sky.

"Well? Will the royals accept it?"

She asked as she stood in front of him now. All he could do was laugh breathlessly.

His family complimented and embraced her and soon they were all in their separate carriages, starting the journey to the palace.

Aileen and Connor sat across from each other in silence, both looking out windows as the sun began to descend.

"You look incredible."
He said finally and she looked to him with a smile,

"Your speechlessness earlier confirmed that, but thank you."

Her smile was teasing but he could see the compliment hit through her armour as her exposed ears and neck reddened slightly.

"You look just as opulent."
She said gently into the quiet and Connor smiled warmly,

"I look like a stable hand compared to you, but thank you."

Her blush darkened and they fell into a comfortable silence that was occasionally interrupted in pleasant small talk. Despite their closeness and usual openness with each other, they couldn't bring themselves to start an intense conversation now.

Connor helped Aileen out of the carriage, his warm hand enveloping her gloved one and he smiled as people around them watched her. She drew attention instantly but she didn't seem to notice.

Arm in arm, they climbed up the staircase to a butler that would announce their names.

"Miss Aileen Barnes and Lord Connor of Estrus."

The voice echoed into the ballroom, where eyes quickly turned to the owners of the names. A silence then fell as the dashing pair walked down the stairs; women swooned at Connor's charm, men skipped a breath at Aileen's powerful being and all envied that they got to hold each other's arms.

Connor whispered to Aileen,

"You've made them silent."
She chuckled,

"We've done that, Connor, don't diminish your power."

Her confidence was enticing - ever present, but more obvious as she held her head high at the attention.

After a few announcements and acknowledgments by the Queen and a few dances with Connor, the event slowed down and Aileen managed to sneak away to the gardens.

She heard footsteps before she saw anyone and recognised the steady rhythm. When she turned, she found Connor walking over with a small smile, flushed cheeks and hands in his pockets,
"Hey, you disappeared and I just wanted to check where you went."
"Thank you, Connor, I just had enough from the crowds and the noise."
The man nodded in understanding and they walked on.

"What brings you here?"
She asked, to which he shrugged,

"Yes, well, I also wanted to escape the ball, I thought I would join Team Peace and Quiet."
Aileen chuckled softly,

"What would the gossip grapevine say if they heard their flirtatious Lord Connor had run from the women to laze around in the gardens?"
She said with a dramatic voice, making her friend chuckle before dryly replying,
"Very funny, Aileen, how I ache from the laughter you cause me."
Aileen bowed her head,

"Thank you, good sir, that is all I aspire to in life."
They settled into quiet, soft smiles in place. Connor suddenly stopped,

"How about a game of chess?"
Aileen smiled,

"Sounds wonderful, but we would have to enter the ball to find a board."
"Not if we use the outdoor one that the royals pride themselves over."
Connor said cheekily, but Aileen frowned,

"Wait, I thought you couldn't play anymore because of your father?"
Connor shrugged,

"Time to make some new memories,"
Aileen smiled and patted his shoulder,

"That's very strong of you, but we have to run so no one sees us."
"No, we don't-"
Aileen had lifted her skirts and was running before he could finish his confusion-filled sentence. He shook his head but ran after her - who wouldn't want to run through empty royal gardens in the comfort of night?