Chapter 2: Stop Imping Around!

The owl was hooting on top of a tree. Animals were scurrying around the forest. You kept up your pace, thinking where that crow went. What you didn't know is that the forest led you around another graveyard from afar. "I just went into a circle? Ugh! I shouldn't trust crows. They are nothing but trouble."

"You know, I take offense to that, missy!" A crow above your head responds, pecking your forehead. You jumped in fear as it fluttered off of you. "Quit being a fraidy cat. I will accept your apology."

"A talking crow? Why couldn't you say anything to me?"

"I wanted to be mysterious," it replied.

"Right, anyways, where are you trying to take me to?" You crossed your arms. "I hate to come home late with the items I need to take home."

"Right, ehem!" The crow flapped its wings. "You shouldn't continue that way into the graveyard. I was trying to take you into the darker parts of these woods so you may follow the path that you need to go."

"Let me guess, more ghosts? The three earlier sure gave me a spook."

"No, no, there are different beings around us that you should avoid. You most certainly don't want to meet eye to eye with them."

"Who are they?"

"Demons."

"The ghost with no eye was telling me about them."

Eyes behind you from above were watching you below.
"It's not a cup that's for sure," a male voice whispered.
"Do we still report this to the boss?" a female voice replied quietly.
"The others are still looking for him so we could go back. Let's be careful not to make a sou-" the male being spotted his sister stepping away from him only to break a branch, falling.

The crow flapped its wings and flew off in fright. You jumped, turning around as you spotted something scurrying into the leaves of the tree. You backed up, "I better scram, this is creeping me out!" You ran off.

"Elinora! Are you okay?" The demon in the leaves looked down.
"My foot! I got a splinter and I think I sprained my leg!" She responded.
"Oh jeez, we better abandon this mission pronto then." He climbed down, helping Elinora up. "Easy now. I hope our boss won't get angry at us."
"Thank you, Peter. I am sure he'll understand. He's been very grateful with our whole operation down below."
"Won't stop him from getting furious with the mission with gotta ditch." Peter took Elinora back to the graveyard, seeing the other imps searching for clues. "I doubt we will find Cuphead here. If I were him, I would go to-"
"Exciting places! Fun places!" Elinora giggled in glee. She always wanted to play above the surface.
"Now sis, we can't just leave our duties. We haven't had a break in 3,000 years. This is a record with us and we must appease our lord of darkness."
"Don't you ever want to explore the world above?" She frowned.
"I wish to but we can't just do that. We gotta do our job."

Elinora sighed but then had an idea pop up which made her smile. "🎤Come on, bro!
Don't you want to know?
What happens up here than down below?
This world has so much more life up here-🎤"
Elinora's mouth was covered by Peter.

"🎤Sis, I disagree
Now come with me
So we can return back home
Inkwell is not a place for us to roam🎤"

Elinora took Peter's hand and fluttered up a tombstone with her bat wings on her back.
"🎤It's overwhelming, that's for sure
I want to explore more because
Inkwell looks super swell🎤"

The imps and demons gasped at how happy Elinora was. This was hardly out of character in fact, a demon in general isn't supposed to care for the surface world. Peter was worried and reassured his fellow work buddies, "Everything is fine. She is just happy because uhhh, we found a clue!"

"Peter, just let loose!" She grabbed Peter and flew down.
"🎤Can we take a tiny peek?
Let's climb the wall, we'll have a ball
I want to see it all because
Inkwell looks super swell-🎤 OOF!"

As Peter and Elinora were sneaking towards the wall to avoid the gates, they bumped into... The Devil. "Boss! You're here-"

"And where are you two running off to in such a hurry?" He asked.

"We are uhh, uhhh," Peter froze up, anxious to say anything. He was like that with his boss when his sister wanted to do things they really shouldn't be doing.

"My brother was going to take me back, Sir. I fell off a tree and hurt myself. I sprained my leg," Elinora pointed.

The Devil zapped her leg with his pitchfork, healing it. "There, all better. You two resume your duties."

"Our duties are actually done. We found a clue!" Peter said.

"We did? Oh, uh, yeah, we did. Unfortunately, there are no cups around here."

"Drat!" Devil snapped his fingers in disappointment. "Then we should cancel checking this perimeter. Ugh, never going to ask the dead if they have seen two cups scurry around here. They usually love to pull pranks. Anyways, what is the clue that you've found?"

"We saw a girl wandering around here and she is human."

"Oh really? Not too surprised that people in general love to take the path through spooky places like this. What did she look like?"

"She has (Eye Color or E/C, Hair Color or H/C) and she was covered in dirt," Peter scratched his head, trying to remember anything else.

"Is that so? Anything else?" The Devil tapped his foot.

"She was talking to a crow, wasn't she, Peter?" Elinora looked at her brother and he responded with a nod.

"Talking to a bird, eh? Hmmm, she doesn't sound interesting but if I ever cross paths with her, she'll just be like any other soul I am trying to collect. Nothing more, nothing less. I supposed as of now, you are all free to go," Devil tapped his pitchfork and poofed his minions back to Hell.

The minions were back in their boss's domain. Elinora and Peter looked at each other, which Peter wasn't too happy about what his sister wanted to do. "Must I always try to make excuses?"

"Last time I checked, I had to cover for you since you tend to get anxious around our boss!" She turned her head. "I just wanted to go out and see the city."

"As much as it's tempting, I wouldn't try. Devil usually keeps us here and he will know if we left. His Henchman usually takes note of what we do. We have a job and we must abide by the rules. I hate to repeat myself."

Elinora hmph at her brother. "I get it, I get it. But-"

"No buts!" Peter snapped. "We should check the Wrath Department or you could take a shift there and I will take a shift at the Sloth Department. It is quite easy to patrol the world there." Elinora stuck her nose in the air. Peter sighed. "I will give you 5 minutes to decide. We shouldn't keep our boss's waiting." Peter headed to the Wrath room.

"... Somehow, I will find a way back up there. That girl seemed like she could be interesting to talk to. I bet if I talked to one person, they would show me around." That's what Elinora was planning to do but the question is how will she plan her way to the surface?