Stop by Your Tracks

"Your train will be leaving in ten minutes," The staff told him, handing back his train ticket with a forced smile. 

Scaramouche returned the gesture, bowing a little; receiving his ticket. 

Unmuting himself from the phone, Mona's voice popped into his head once again, rambling on about his daily astrology horoscope. He sighed, shaking his head at her dearest sister's persistence. She had been taking astrology courses ever since she found a horoscope article on Buzzfeed, sending her into an astrological frenzy. Sometimes, her assumptions would be correct, sometimes they're not. It's all just a matter of coincidence, at the end of the day.

Mona works in an astrology firm In America, which Scaramouche finds so astonishing she can even land herself in a proper workforce. Though she says she's living the usual white-collar life, she's often seen running out of money quickly; having to ask Scaramouche for life-sustaining funds frequently. 

Scaramouche is nothing like her sister, he is a hard-working lawyer from head to toe. The most renowned lawyer there is in Japan, in reality. At the young age of 29, he already dominates the charts for Japan's most prominent and trustworthy lawyer. 

"Your tarot for today is "The Lovers"," Mona announced, the flipping of tarot cards filled the empty silence between the two, "We all know that you don't have an established relationship, but it might signify that you'll meet someone who catches your eye today?" she chuckled, the tapping of cards being arranged on the table echoed into Scaramouche's ears, telling him her baseless guessing game is over.

"Hah, well, we'll bet." Scaramouche joked, the whirling sounds of his train pulling up to his stop signified that their call had to end.

"It's pretty late there in America, right?" Scaramouche checked his watch, 9 A.M., which would be 9 P.M. at where Mona lives. 

She yawned, "Yeah, it's nine here. I'll have to feed that little beast, Monika, before I go shower," she mumbled as her cat jumped onto the counter of her apartment, licking her hand as she ends her call with Scaramouche for the day.

"You'll have to come back during the summer," Scaramouche said, rolling his luggage towards the train he'll be boarding, "Mom's been missing you like crazy these days, I couldn't do anything to calm her down." he chuckled, thumb hovering over the end call button.

"Yeah, definitely," Mona responded, "I haven't been back since two years ago," her mouth formed an 'o' when she realized.

"Come back soon," Scaramouche repeated, "talk to you later, Mona." 

"Mhm, bye, Scaramouche!" She exclaimed before Scaramouche hung up on her, putting his phone back in his pocket before lifting his luggage up to store it into a compartment.

He was going on a business trip to Yamagata, where he's invited for a trial. He often receives offers from clients outside of the city he lives in—Osaka, so he's been thinking of moving to places more in the center of all the prefectures he frequented, like Nagano.

Plopping down onto the seat designated for him, he peered outside the window. He was so glad he managed to get the last window seat possible. He had a weird preference for sitting beside the window no matter what means of transportation she situated himself in, it was like he's always awaiting something to pop up from the other side of the window—something that he's been poised to encounter by habitually sitting in the window seat. 

He doesn't know what he's waiting for, but it'd always bother him more than it should when he's not sitting beside the window.

His attention detached from the announcements in the train, he peered out the window—like what he'd regularly do after boarding any transportation. 

He saw people. People with their luggage, waiting in the train station. People with headphones on, jamming to the music of their choice. People with little kids, who run about; totally ecstatic to be in such a high-tech area. 

He exhaled as the train finally began to move, the strangers he was observing suddenly trailing away from his vision. Somewhat disappointed he would never be able to see them again, he focused his attention on the scenery that would only be seen from the heights of a train.

Cars, people, buildings. Components that make up a megacity, blurred in the speed of the train. He likes to play a game with himself, that is to keep his vision glued onto a certain object for as long as he could see it. It often kept him busy for the longest train rides.

He locked his eyes onto a couple, a girl putting her head against the shoulder of a taller boy. Then he lost sight of them. Sighing, he darted his eyes around for another object for observation. 

His visions set onto a woman, pacing her way into a bank. She was wearing a black gown, adorned with golden specs of jewelry. Her hair put up into a tall bun, she gave the energy of an antagonist in an ancient era.

The train going faster than the woman could walk, she trailed off. Scaramouche shook his head. Closing his eyes for a brief moment.

A train from the opposite side suddenly blocked his view of the city rolling like a film tape. He bounced back in surprise, then adjusted to the sudden intrusion. He always loved a challenge, like, setting his eyes on people on the other side as they pass by at astonishing speeds. 

A woman scolding her child in a whispering tone, a man reading a newspaper, a teenager laughing with his friends about something Scaramouche had no idea of. 

And, a man. 

A man with platinum hair and a bold streak of red flowing from his bangs. He was also looking out the window, is he playing the same game as Scaramouche? 

Their eyes locked for a brief moment, everything seemed to slow down at that exact moment. 

His eyes were a shade of dark red, like a ruby in the moonlight. His lips slightly curled up to form a smile, it enlightened something within Scaramouche. 

Scaramouche put a hand up to the window to support himself up; wanting to see more of the man. But he disappeared, like a light breeze of wind. Only a brief moment of acknowledgment, but the other had already taken something away from him.

His heart.

Maybe Mona was right, today really was the day he meets someone who catches his eye. His heart beating fast, he put a hand on his chest to try and stop it from lumping out of his throat. The imagery of the same man flashing across his vision replayed in his mind, like a cassette tape put on loop. 

The only image he has of him, the first time he had felt the sensation to go back and find the person he had settled eyes on. 

Who knows where he's going to? Preferably Osaka, and preferably he's thinking of settling into the city Scaramouche lives in. The sliver of hope that he will eventually meet him again hung desperately in his mind, his chest sinking as the train drove further away from the platinum-haired man.

May we encounter again? He thought, turning his head back towards the window. Instead of focusing on the citizens, he awed at the blue sky above Japan; and a vision of the same man painted across the glass pane.

----

i saw a tiktok abt a train and i was like "holy shit this can be an actual prompt"

1243 words