Chapter Six

Chapter Six

I couldn't remember falling asleep.

I only remembered being forced to lay there, watching Epimetheus in Theo's body, ride on top of me, panting hard and sweating so much that I could see it shining along his pale skin and tight muscles. The next thing I knew, my eyes were closing, only to open again and find that I was dreaming.

I knew I was dreaming. The feeling was light and airy. Something about it felt like water caressing my skin as I moved down a hallway, pausing outside an open room and peering inside to see Theo, once again as a child, only this time, he was about six or eight years old. He was sitting on the floor, wearing a loose flowing black tunic with a gold brooch in the shape of a key, a symbol of Hades. He seemed to be playing with a corn dolly, a servant kneeling on the floor beside him, smiling softly.

"Have you named him yet, young master?" She asked gently, watching Theo stare at the doll as he tilted it from side to side. Theo looked up, frowning in confusion.

"Name?" He asked. His voice sounded very soft, quiet. Nothing like his mother's hoarse seething or even Hades' strong, masculine voice. Or at least, as a child's it was soft. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that Theo was sounding more and more like his father.

"Why, yes." The servant said, taking on the tone of a teacher as she touched the doll's little helmet that reminded me of a soldier. In fact, the closer I looked, the more I realized it seemed to look like a Greek soldier, but there was a Celtic knot pattern on its shield.

"Everyone has a name, young master. Tis only fair to give your friend a name, is it not?" She asked, tilting her head to peer into Theo's face. He looked down at the doll, staring before he looked back up at the servant, frowning.

"What's the Celtic word for friend, Aine?" He questioned. Aine smiled, reaching out and tucking a lock of Theo's hair behind his ear, something that made him flinch and made Aine's smile melt into an expression of sorrow.

"Cara." Aine answered. Theo looked back at the doll.

"Cara. That's his name." He stated. Aine smiled again, gently stroking Theo's hair back from his face, but he didn't seem to notice now as he stared at his doll. However, Aine instantly removed her hand as if she had touched fire when a breeze settled past me and I realized that Theo's mother had walked right through me and into the room, looking angry.

"What are you two doing? I ordered you to clean him up," Aria snarled at them, making Theo withdraw and Aine flinch, "Pick up this mess, now! And give him something more proper to wear! If you don't have him ready in five minutes, I'll toss you to the dogs of the streets! I hear men love blondes." Aine touched her blonde hair, flinching before she stooped to help Theo to his feet.

"Come along, young master. Let us dress you." She said gently, bringing Theo to the nearby wardrobe where she took out a very clean, crisp looking black chiton and matching himation. She dressed Theo quickly as Aria watched with narrowed eyes before she curled her lip back from her teeth in disgust. She came forward and slapped Aine hard in the face, enough to make Theo jump away from them both, holding the himaton close to his chest.

"Stupid bitch," Aria snarled, making Aine wince, "You're too slow! I won't have you working for me like this! If I were you, I'd run now before I get my hands on you." Aria turned to Theo, who took another step back, but not before Aria caught him by the wrist, snatching the doll out of his hand and throwing it on the floor. Theo made a sound of protest.

"He's my friend!" He protested. Aria sneered at him, jerking his wrist so hard there was a snap that made Theo whimper, tears filling his eyes again. She gave him a violent shake, pinching his cheek with her other hand.