𝙻𝚘𝚢𝚊𝚕 𝚃𝚘 𝙼𝚎 » 𝐃𝐫𝐮𝐢𝐠 | 𝐎𝐧𝐞

Year: 400 CE | Location: India, Gupta Period

The moon crept higher into the night sky, as shouts of celebration were heard from a tiny village that sat in a valley between two low mountains. Candles illuminated the dark night, creating a soft glow around the room. The air was warm, with a crisp, cool, breeze blowing through.

They were celebrating the union of Sersi and Ikaris, two of the fellow eternals residing in their village to protect them from the Deviants. Phastos and Makkari were on the dance floor, dancing with Thena and Gilgamesh. Druig and Kingo were scarfing down food as if it was their last meal, and Sprite and Ajak sat at a table, watching the commotion. Sersi and Ikaris were making their rounds, thanking everyone for coming and joining them tonight. It was a beautiful sight; everyone had a smile plastered on their face.

The eternals had been residing in this village for some time now, growing close to the people, helping them with their daily tasks while they waited for the Deviants to attack. Ajak, their leader, kept in contact with Arishem waiting for him to tell them where to move next. So far, he had been radio silent.

As the night went on, Sprite used her illusions to tell tales of the past, using the Eternals as characters in her narrations. Makkari traded some of the finer objects she had stolen from the last place they resided, while Druig continued to try all the food the villagers had made while he watched everyone closely. He wanted to make sure everyone was at peace with one another.

Phastos began discussing new inventions he was thinking up with Kingo and Gilgamesh- who effectively tuned him out while downing some wine. When Sprite was finished with her illusions, she made her way back to the table Ajak and Thena were at, despite the children's protests for more.

Among the celebration, Ajak felt a sharp pain in her chest- a sign that Arishem wanted to speak. She stood, motioning to Sprite and Thena that she would be just a minute.

Heading to a quiet spot just outside of the village, she sat cross-legged in the sand, clearing her mind with several deep breaths. On the third breath, she felt a gush of wind. Opening her eyes, she saw the infinite galaxies around her, Arishem's bright red, rock-like body in front of her. She was hovering just above his hand.

"Ajak. I am bringing you a new eternal when the next sun fully rises in the sky." Arishem's voice boomed, echoing off the vast cosmos.

"A new eternal?" Ajak was confused... this wasn't part of the original plan. She didn't want to question the celestial too much, but curiosity was nagging to get the best of her.

"Yes. I've decided to try out a new creation."

Ajak nodded, not wanting to push her luck by asking anymore questions. Anticipation and anxiety began swelling inside of her. The last time Arishem created a new being, it was the Eternals to ward off his old creations: the Deviants. What was this new creation?

"What is her purpose?" Ajak asked.

"The same as yours. She will aide you in preparing for the emergence," Arishem explained. That was it? Ajak thought to herself.

"Anything else I need to know?"

"This Eternal... be attentive of her. Unlike the rest of you, this Eternal's power will only grow stronger, adapting and changing as she does. She can make or break the entire mission."

Ajak nodded her head, and Arishem sent her back to her body, sitting peacefully on the mountain. When she returned to the celebrations, Sprite watched her closely and intently, waiting to figure out what Arishem had said to her. Ajak didn't notice Sprite follow her into the mountains, especially considering she was back to the table before Ajak returned.