Chapter 12- Love and Loss

"Do you have any fucking idea of the PR mess you've made?" Nan Flanagan asked the group of them.

Bill, Marilyn, Sookie, Eric, Godric, and Isabel had all been dragged before Nan to explain the events of the last few days. Godric and Isabel sat next to one another, as well as Bill and Sookie, Marilyn perched on the end of the same sofa, next to Eric. They hadn't spoken at all that morning, they had both gotten ready in silence and that silence still hung in the air between them even now. 

"And who has to clean that shit up? Me, not you, me. I should drain every one of you bastards" Marilyn rolled her eyes at the vampire woman, she really was taking things a bit too far, Marilyn could feel Eric's muscles stiffening next to her. She knew what a big deal public image was to the vampires and this whole mess that's just occurred could screw up decades of hard work.

"Stan went into the church on his own, none of us knew about it" Eric told Nan, desperately trying to convince her of his story.

"Really? but everyone that met Stan in the last three hundred years knew he had a kink about slaughtering humans, but not his own nest mates, his sheriff, had no clue?" Nan retorted.

"And how were we supposed to know that this time he meant it?" Isabel asked.

"Not my problem, yours" Nan told Godric.

"Don't talk to him that way" Eric growled at the woman.

"Don't talk to me that way" Nan said back. Eric stiffened even more; Marilyn went to touch Eric's knee but pulled away at the last second. This wasn't the time nor the place.

"Let's get to the point, how did they manage to abduct you?" Nan asked Godric.

"They would have taken one of us sooner or later, I offered myself" Godric replied, Marilyn seemed to be the only one in the room who wasn't surprised by this turn of events. She was the only one who knew about Godric giving himself up and how he had wished it had turned out. 

"Why?" Nan asked.

"Why not?" Godric said back.

"They wanted you to meet the sun, and you were willing?" Nan asked, looking confused.

Marilyn glanced over to Eric, he looked terrified, his eyes were wide, like a child in a world of titans and terrors.

"What do you think?" Godric asked the woman.

"I think you're out of your mind" There was silence for a moment, Eric gulped noisily next to Marilyn, leaning forward and resting his hands on his knees. "And then I hear about a traitor?" Nan continued.

"Irrelevant, only a rumour, I'll take full responsibility" Godric said.

"You bet you will" Nan nodded at the man.

"You cold bitch" Eric mumbled to Nan from next to Marilyn.

"Listen..." Nan said, turning to Eric. "This is a national vampire disaster, and nobody at the top has any sympathy for any of you, sheriff you fucked up, you're fired" Nan told Godric.

"I agree, of course, Isabel should take over, she had no part in my disgrace" Godric offered.

"Godric, fight back" Isabel told him.

"What are you saying, she's a bureaucrat, you don't have to take shit from her!" Eric told Godric.

"Wanna lose your area Viking?" Nan asked Eric.

"You don't have that sort of power" Eric told her.

"Hey, I'm on TV, try me" Nan threatened.

"I'm to blame, I should have contained Stan the second Godric went missing" Isabel cut in.