The Mission

☽ ⭂—⭈ ✯

  It's only been a few days after the king's death and I haven't really concentrated on much of my training. I knew his kids, sometimes they'd watch me train and we'd hang out together so I was sadden when I heard the news. I finished doodling in my sketchbook and went back to putting my head down.

knock

knock

I jolted awake, almost falling off my chair.

"Come in." I yelled, my tired voice making it seem like I hadn't slept in days. The door creaked open, letting light from the hallway shine in the darken room.

"Y/n, how are you doing? I haven't seen you out training since Monday." Viren said, slowing making his way over to my desk. He then opened the curtains, letting more light shine in the room.

I groaned. "I was doing fine until you came in here, making it all bright and shit."

He sighed. "Well you haven't been getting out much, might as well open a curtain or two."

"What are you here for anyway? I know your not just here to bother me and open some curtains." I asked annoyed. Can't get a moment of peace in this damn castle.

"I wanted to ask you a favor, or rather an order if it comes to that." Viren said, getting on with his reasoning.

"An order? You can't make me do anything." I scoffed.

"I never said it was directly an order, can I get on with it?" He answered.

I shrugged in response.

"You see, I sent Claudia and Soren on two separate missions, though similar objectives. I have a feeling they could let me down in some sort of way. I know how they are. You're a good mage and fighter, training under me. So I thought you could carry out both missions incase the other two take up more time than they should, or if they completely fail." He said, awaiting a reply.

"I guess I could, what did you send them to do?" I asked, curious on the difficulty of the missions.

"Well I asked Soren to take care of the princes, in other words, to end them. And I tasked Claudia with retrieving the dragon egg." Viren said.

"I thought the princes already didn't make it.. Why would you want to kill them??" I asked, very unaware of his intentions.

"Do you know what this kingdom would become if it were ruled by a child king?! He would make weak decisions! You wouldn't want to let me down would you, Y/n?" Viren answered, raising his voice the more desperate he got in wanting me to understand the circumstances.

"I-i guess not.. You have a good point. I'll do it." I finally said, trying desperately to make myself feel more confident in my final answer.

"Great, I must have you aware of the consequences there are to you not fulfilling my word. If you do not bring me the news that the princes have died and or don't bring me the dragon egg, you'll be paralyzed." He stated, the venom in his voice thickening.

"Paralyzed? What?!" I said, raising my voice ever so slightly.

"Yes, you heard me. I will enchant a spell on an item for you to wear and if in a few days you do not accomplish anything, you legs will slowly give out day by day. And once the spell is finished, you will no longer be able to walk." He continued.

My eyes widened, well aware of the consequences of not completing the missions. It was gruesome but this always seemed like Viren's way of doing things.

"Okay I understand to circumstances. When do I leave?"

"As soon as possible, I'll cast that spell now." He answered, grabbing an old belt from my wardrobe.

His eyes turned a light violet while he chanted a spell, the belt floating in the air surrounded by purplish smoke. The belt then clasped itself around my waist, buckling itself into place.

"You only have a limited amount of time before the spell starts to work, I suggest you start packing for the journey." Viren said, turning around to heard out the door.

"Wait! Do you know of their last whereabouts?" I asked, needing some form of guidance.

He shook his head. "All I know is some people spotted an elf running into the forest, if anyones after them it would be that elf. I'd start looking for tracks in the forest."

And with that he shut the door, some light leaving the room. I quickly closed the curtains once more and smiled. This is bound to be easy. I mean, i've done combat training with Callum before, I know his weak points. And that's basically anything. He can barely defend himself. Defeating Ezran won't be hard either, though I'd feel a bit bad.  I felt the belt on my waist tighten slightly, making me flinch. Was Viren lying about the spells start time? I wiggled my toes. They weren't numb yet.

I grabbed my sword and a dagger (just incase) and slid them into place on my belt. Only after sharpening them a bit. Then I grabbed some food that would at least last me a week or took and placed them in a somewhat large satchel. I then grabbed a small dragon plush that had an ocean rune sewed on it, the dragon being a swampy green color while the rune was a mix of blue and green. It was gifted to me by my parents after they went off to train in the army. It's really the only thing I have left of them. It might seem stupid to bring a stuffed animal to a mission but it made me feel safe.

The last thing I grabbed was a hood that I then put on and my Primal Stone which I had found (totally didn't steal).

After being fully packed I headed out the door, walking down the hall to the princes room. Opening the door, I searched the room for a hairbrush. After opening a few drawers I finally found one, taking some of the hair from it and putting it in a small glass jar. If I wanted to track down the princes, a simple tracking spell would work. And it required hair as a result. If I were to do a more complicated tracking spell, I'd need more ingredients. This spell would only work for a few second but once I get the princes general area, I should be set.

—————-

The walk to the Lodge wasn't so bad. Apparently the princes were here at some point, leaving behind a sack of food and jelly tart fingerprints. Huh, Ezran.

Scouting from the trees, I heard the clanking of horse hooves on the path to the Lodge. I spotted both Claudia and Soren in the  clearing.

"Tch, they're wasting their time here, Claudia could've done a tracking spell by now." I whispered to myself.

Hopping down from the tree, I sat on a small rock and got out a piece of paper. Scribbling something down, I set the paper on the grass along with the jar of hair. I then chanted the spell I remembered and a small purple beam pointed towards a tall mountain. A small drawn photo of the mountain appeared on the paper, to which I used as my map. The beam disappeared and I headed on my way.

.....................
1242 words