Nineteen

Phil's POV

Waking up at six in the morning was high up in the list of things Phil would rather jump off a cliff than do. Especially not at this moment.

He was pathetic. He's seen his dad for ten seconds, and he was on the verge of a breakdown. He didn't even know what it was; his dad had never done anything that should make Phil mad at him, or scared, or anything. He hadn't been the best fatherly figure, but nothing that warranted Phil acting like this.

And he knew that Dan has gone to see the Highers about him. He hadn't mentioned his intentions, but it wasn't hard to guess. He hated that he was worrying Dan that much, that he couldn't pull himself together for more than a few hours at a time.

And now there was school.

Not only would he have to spend the next seven hours trapped in classrooms with nothing to do, but after, he'd have to go and watch his dad again. They had to get this job done. Dan had offered to go alone and make observations himself, but Phil knew damn well it had to be him that did it.

Phil was silent the entire drive to school, looking down at his lap and twisting his fingers together. He could feel Dan throwing him small glances every now and then, but he didn't acknowledge it. He'd rather sit in his own simmering silence than talk about his feelings.

"I'll see you later?" Dan asked, pulling up a couple blocks away from the school. Phil didn't reply, just opening the door and walking away. He didn't even look back, keeping his head down.

He had a headache as soon as he walked through the door. Fuck, he really didn't feel like doing this today. This was only his second full day here, and he was already sick of it. Sure, he'd made a few friends on Friday, but the rest of the student could all very well go fuck themselves.

His first lesson, maths, was the last place he wanted to be. He actually planned on sleeping through the entire thing, and as soon as he sat down, he folded his arms and proceeded to fall try and asleep.

And he did, for maybe a minute, before someone slammer a book down next to his head. Phil jolted up out of his slightly uncomfortable position, staring up confusedly at the beaming, dark haired boy grinning down at him. Dean, from the group he'd befriended.

"You really don't want to sleep in this class, mate." Dean said, sliding into the usually empty seat next to Phil. Guess he was switching seats for the day. "Mr. Collins will tear you a new one, trust me on that."

Phil sighed, dragging his hands across his face roughly. What he wouldn't give to just curl up under a bed for a few days and not talk to anyone. "How are you, then?" Phil asked tiredly, mostly out of politeness.

"Well, it seems a lot better than you." Dean replied, grinning at Phil's glare. He seemed too happy all the time. "Have a rough weekend?"

"Oh, you wouldn't believe."

They didn't have a chance to talk anymore, as just then, the teacher walked in. All the chatter that had been going on ceased as the teacher began lecturing.

But Phil wasn't listening. He had no need to, he wouldn't be here for long. And honestly, maths wasn't something he could get interested in at all.

And the morning passed unbearably slow. He didn't have any other classes with the other members of the group until gym, which he was looking forward too, surprisingly. He'd been an asshole this morning, he knew, and Dan didn't deserve that. Just because he couldn't handle himself didn't mean he had to take it out on other people.

The locker room seemed a lot less subdued today than last time, and Phil thought it maybe had something to do with the fact that it was a Monday.

"You, look like shit." Emma said as soon as he walked out. She must have been waiting.