Chapter 3: Settling In and Work

No trigger warnings that I can see, but please point them out for me if you see one!

Thank you, Cass <3

Wilt led him through the house pointing out certain things that were apparently 'important.' For example, the fifteen boxes of ramen in the closet because Wilt couldn't cook. Or the TV that was kept on sports 24/7 ("You must never change it. Ever. I will know."). Or the laundry room, which stinked of sweat and fabric softener. Wilt's room was located on the ground floor, a place that smelled almost as bad as the laundry room. Different types of working-out clothes were strewn about. A set of weights were in the corner, and ramen cups in various stages of decay were littered on every surface. Wilt quickly ushered them out while rubbing his neck, blushing, and saying he didn't think he'd have anyone over. Edric had just laughed and moved on.

After showing him around, Wilt let him choose a bedroom. There was one that was near the front, with windows that went from floor to ceiling and filled the room with dazzling sunlight. Sweeping marble pillars and quartz floors made an almost ethereal effect float around the room. Another was as dark and shadowy as the first one bright and sunny, all velvet draperies and dark woods. But the third was the one he finally chose. Wilt had looked rather sheepish bringing him to it, as if embarrassed of it, but Edric had known he would choose it the instant he saw it. It was located in the attic and sparsely furnished. A basic bed and bookshelf was pushed to a vintage papered wall. A honey colored desk stood near the only window, accompanied by a worn armchair that looked a billion times more inviting then the ones in the Grandmaster's office. You had to go up and down a wooden ladder to get enter and leave, but Edric didn't care. 

Wilt had been surprised to hear he wanted it, but didn't say so and simply helped him carry his bags up before leaving to go eat dinner. Edric put his things away, and when he was done, he glanced around the-his room. It was cozy and reminded him a bit of his old room. He was glad he had this room, and not one of the rich ones downstairs. This one felt of home.

In the week with Wilt, life had fallen into a vague routine. Each had their separate schedules, but made sure to take turns doing chores and such. And Edric had learned so much about Wilt. Wilt was funny and surprisingly, quite intelligent. He really liked spicy ramen, and had been eating it more out of spite ever since Edric had nagged him that it killed your cholesterol. He occasionally did something sweet and cute, like bring him some food from a restaurant. He came home quietly after partying, something Edric had refused to partake in, at least so far. Edric had also started to see that he liked to present himself as confident and sporty and strong, but in private was occasionally stupid and clumsy, which Edric found quite endearing. Wilt had been a little weird about the bi flag Edric had hung up in his room, but it turned out that he was pan, so Edric assumed he was just surprised. Edric did not particularly give off the vibes of someone who was bi (or so he'd been told, a comment that had always struck him as odd).

However, the week he had been given to settle in ended tomorrow, which was his first day of actual work. Because he technically worked for three different sections, he'd simply alternate days between the three and do as much work as possible on the days of that section. And tomorrow was science, which Edric was both dreading and looking forward to. He really wanted to see Hans again, whom he hadn't seen since he had dropped him off at the Grandmaster's office. But at the same time, he was not ready for the work. Science was difficult because it had so many branches, and he had no idea which one he was being sent into.

He woke up to the sound of his alarm going off - 6:00 am and time for work. He rifled through his dresser, uncertain of what to wear. He tried on several different outfits, anxiety growing more and more with each change. Finally, he settled on a button up and a navy sweater he had knitted himself a long time ago. He then brushed through his hair and tried to decide on what to do with it. He could braid it back or put it up, or do his usual quill look? He decided, eventually, that a simple plait would look the most professional.