Chapter 74

"Hey dad! Is it okay if I go to Ryan's house after I finish my homework?", Cayson quickly asked at my doorway.

"Are there going to be girls at Ryan's house?", I asked. 17 year old Cayson was, lets just say, one of those boys. He played around with girls and stop talking to them.

"Why?", he asks rolling is eyes.

"Because I need to know these things. I don't need you catching any type of diseases because these girls are nasty."

"Its not like I'm gonna have sex with them.", he reassured me.

"Whatever Cay. But you need to be home by 10. You have school tomorrow."

He groaned and said thank you before leaving the room. I heard him yell leave me alone and I chuckled before I picked up my phone and looked at the screen saver. It was of me, Ava, and baby Cayson. We were at a birthday party and had my arm wrapped around her waist as she was holding Cayson, who had a piece of cake in his hand. As soon as the picture snapped he threw the cake in her face and her expression was hilarious. I think its the best picture we have.

It has been years since Brenda shot Ava. That was one of the worst days of my life.

Flashback

As soon as the gun went off, Ava fell to the ground. My eyes went wide, I couldn't even move. I was so shocked. Brenda dropped the gun and covered her mouth with shaky hands. I got on the ground next to Ava and rolled her over. I looked for the bullet and found the wound right in between her breasts. I was so angry, I couldn't even cry.

"Ava can you say something please?", I begged just hoping she would blink or something.

I tried to feel for a pulse but I couldn't feel one. Are you fucking kidding me?

I reached for the gun on the floor and pointed it straight at Brenda's head.

"W-what are you doing, Chres?", she stuttered.

"What the fuck does it look like I'm doing Brenda?! You just shot your own fucking daughter. She's d-" I couldn't finish the sentence because I didn't want to believe it was true. "She was the only person that loved me for me after everything i put her through. And you just.. took her away from me!", I yelled.

"You have Cayson. Cayson loves you.", she said with a couple of tears running down her face.

"Do you not understand what i just said?! YOU JUST SHOT YOUR DAUGHTER. Yeah i have Cayson but guess what he doesn't have. A mother! She would have been the best mother she could be for him. She could raise him the right way. I cant do this by myself! i cant. Not without her", i said shaking my head. I put the gun down to my side. "Im not even going to kill you. As much as i want to, i want you to live and i want this to haunt you your whole life."

I heard the sirens coming closer and I just sat down with Ava. I picked up her head and laid it down in my lap. I closed my eyes and prayed for the first time. I couldn't live without her.

*

Brenda was put into a mental institution instead of jail. They said she was too mentally unstable to be put into a prison.

My phone started reading, interrupting my thoughts. I answered befre looking at the caller I.D.

"Hello?", i answered.

"I need tissue", I heard Ava giggle into the phone.

"Are you serious?", I laughed.

"Yes Im serious. Hurry!", she said before hanging up.