14

October 3, 1996
Charlotte

One day, and I haven't done anything to screw up this relationship yet. I'm pretty proud of myself, to be honest. I thought by now I'd start annoying Billy, or he'd finally realize just how boring I am, but nothing has happened. At least, not yet. 

After school yesterday, Billy drove Davey and me home and promised he'd pick us up in the morning. It's really sweet, even though I feel like we're burdening him, but he assured me that it was his absolute pleasure. I still don't believe him, but at least I don't have to walk to school now. 

Now it is morning, and I'm anxiously waiting by the front window for a glimpse of Billy's old beat-up car. Davey keeps teasing me, but I'm learning to block it out. 

"Come on, Charlotte, when's he gonna be here?" Davey whines, plopping down on the sofa. Without turning, I just shrug and keep my eyes glued on the road. 

"...There." 

I point down our street and see our ride zooming up, windows rolled down, and music blasting. Billy sits behind the wheel wearing sunglasses to block out the rising sun, a plain white t-shirt, and a couple of bracelets dangling off of his wrist. I subconsciously comb down my hair a bit as the two of us walk out the front door and down to the sidewalk. 

"Morning, beautiful!" Billy greets, leaning over to pop the passenger door for me. As soon as I sit down, he gives me a small kiss on the cheek and plants his right hand on my thigh. I can hear Davey gagging in the backseat. 

The drive goes by quickly, dropping Davey off and speeding toward Woodsboro High and making it with enough time to spare to stop by my locker and put a few things away. The entire time, Billy just walks with me and swings our hands back and forth. 

"I told you," I whisper, passing by a group of girls. They all stare at me, either with confused expressions or dirty glares. Billy glances at them and shrugs, squeezing my hand tighter. "Who gives a shit?"

"I mean... I do, a little."

"Well," Billy starts, pulling me over to the other side of the hall to avoid any hallway traffic. "Just focus on me, okay? Focus on us." He leans down and presses our lips together. Even though everything else seems to drown out, I still manage to hear a few scoffs and whispered laughs. Still, I do my best to stay in the moment and reciprocate the kiss. We part when the warning bell rings. 

We're already pretty close to Mr. Robins' classroom, so Billy takes a few strides forward and swings the door open, waving his arm cartoonishly. "M'lady," he says, putting on a proper English accent. I try my best to remain stone-faced, but I still laugh at the display. 

Ever the gentleman, Billy pulls out my desk chair for me, scooting me comfortably into my spot before he sits at his own desk. Once again, a few people peer at us curiously, and some of the girls look like they're going to snap my neck. I really don't like all this attention, and I want to tell Billy that, but I don't want to ruin this relationship, especially not after one day. 

"Charlotte?"

"Hm?"

"I know you usually sit under that big tree during lunch, but would you want to sit with me and my friends today? They all wanted to meet you," he says, pausing. "Well, besides Stu. You've already met that jackass."

"Oh, um..." I hesitate, considering. On one hand, I could make some more friends and be more like a "normal" teenager. But on the other, I'm not great with new people. I mean, a few weeks ago, I was being a total asshole to Billy, and now he's my boyfriend. 

It's still weird to me to be calling him that. Boyfriend. I really didn't think that would happen. 

"Sure," I finally reply, smiling uncertainly. All of that hesitation is wiped away, however, when I see Billy's expression form a huge grin and excited eyes. I'm glad he's happy, even if I'm nervous.