The Path To Heaven Runs Through Miles Of Clouded Hell

Tenochtitlan - 1521 AD

"Where are the others?" Ajak asked as Makkari, Druig and Y/N came into the clearing.

"We had to split up," Makkari signed.

"There were more Deviants than you said," you glared at Phastos as you leaned over, your hands on your knees as you tried to catch your breath.

"Well, I'm sure that was fun for you and Thena," Phastos said nonchalantly.

"It was," Thena responded.

"Once the others kill these last Deviants, we will have eliminated them all from the planet," Phastos said, looking at the device on his arm.

Gunshots and screams could be heard in the distance. You saw Druig bristle next to you and you put your hand on his arm. "Don't," you told him quietly.

"I can help them," he told you.

"We can't," you said sadly. You understood more than anyone what Druig was feeling. You had listened to his guilt time and time again. You had seen how it weighed on him. It was difficult for you as well, watching the humans suffer, especially when you could help them. But you had your orders. And you trusted Ajak, even when you questioned her. You knew there was truth in her words. Humanity needed to progress without interference, and the sad truth was that war often led to progress.

This is a massacre. He said in your head, his eyes on yours.

I know, my love, but we must let history take its course. If you interfere in their war now, you will change the course of their history. We are not Gods, Druig.

"We don't interfere in their wars," Ajak interjected your private conversation in your minds.

"This isn't war," he said. You knew he was responding to your thoughts though he turned to look at Ajak. "It's genocide. Their weapons have become too deadly. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea helping them to advance, Phastos."

"Technology is a part of their evolutionary process, Druig. It's not exactly something that I can stop," Phastos said.

"You can't. But I can." He sent you an apologetic look at he turned to the villagers.

"It's too late," Thena said suddenly. You all looked at her.

"Thena?" Sersei said.

"Everyone is going to die."

"Are you okay?" Sersei asked her. "Thena?"

You saw it a second before it was too late as you sent a wave of air to fling Sersei back as Thena conjured her sword and swung.

"Thena!" You jumped forward. She lunged at you, bringing her sword down. You rolled out of the way. Her eyes was white and unseeing.

"Thena?" Sersei said as Thena flung Makkari off and into a tree when the speedster tried to restrain her. "Thena, no!"

You had trained with the warrior countless times over the centuries which came in handy as you blocked her attacks on you, kicking your leg out from under her, sending her to the ground. "Thena, stop! What is going on?"

"Thena!" Ajak said loudly as Thena jumped up again.  Ajak slowly approached her. "Don't listen to the voices in your head. Listen to my voice. You are safe. You are loved. You are our Thena." She took Thena's face in her hands. It seemed to be working for a moment before Thena thrust her sword forward into Ajak's stomach.

"Ajak, no!" You screamed, sending a gust of wind at Thena, sending her back. You rushed to Ajak's side. "Ajak, are you alright?"

"You must calm her," she said, gasping.