chapter 15

The main house garden.

On a sunny afternoon, Hanbin looked like he was relaxing in the garden reading a book and drinking tea while the other gang members were working. But the reality was Jennie forced Hanbin to stay at the main house to look after Lisa when Jennie was working outside the main house. Each time Jennie left the main house, Lisa would cry and Hanbin easily stopped her crying. Hanbin would show her a needle and she would stop crying and play games.

Mino returned to the main house after completing a mission. He saw Lisa playing online games and Hanbin was reading and drinking tea next to her.

“You must be enjoying your holiday,” Mino said.

Hanbin turned the page. “I don’t mind if we switch. You can look after Miss Lisa and I’ll work outside. What’s happening in North America?”

Mino sat on a chair and propped his legs on the table.

“No development,” Mino said. “Mr Tao is relying on Jisoo’s support and spread the rumor Ni Sheng swallowed Mr Tao’s goods unprovoked. Jisoo used it as an excuse to detain some of Ni Sheng’s goods.”

“How did Mr Tao manage to escape that day?” Hanbin asked.

“How would I know?” Mino. “You should ask Jackson. Usually Jackson never fails his missions, but…”

Suddenly Mino remembered what was special about that day.

“I heard Mina will visit you today,” Mino said.

Hanbin turned the page and he looked unaffected.

“What were saying about Jackson?” Hanbin asked.

“Mina!” Mino called.

“Do you think I’ll fall for your trick a second time?” Hanbin asked.

Mino smiled smugly.

“What trick?” Mina asked.

“I warned Hanbin that he has no time left to escape,” Mino joked. “Mina, you can catch up with Hanbin in private. I’ll take Miss Lisa out.”

Mina’s red hair like a phoenix and she wore a black outfit.

A smile appeared on Mina’s beautiful face. “Do you want to escape? I didn’t know Hanbin who’s usually calm would run away when he sees me.”

Hanbin put the book on the table and crossed his arms. “Run away? When did you see me run away?”

Mina shrugged her shoulders. “It doesn’t matter. In the past I agreed to give you a year to think clearly so I willingly travelled to South America to work. Now your year of thinking has lapsed. I don’t need to know your decision, because from today onward you’re my man. Unless…”

Mina opened Hanbin’s white shirt and a phoenix birthmark was exposed.

“You remove your birthmark and neutralise the curse,” Mina said.

Mina kissed Hanbin’s lips and left the main house without giving him a chance to reject her.

Hanbin rubbed his lips and smiled. He couldn’t believe he didn’t get to see Mina for a year. He looked at the phoenix birthmark on his chest and he remembered what happened a year ago.

The tenacious Mina declared she wanted to be his woman. According to the Myoui legend, the Myoui’s ancestors cursed the Kim(Hanbin family’s)’s ancestors.

The Myoui cursed that one of the Kim’s descendants would give birth to a boy with a phoenix birthmark and if the boy married someone who wasn’t a Myoui’s descendant then the boy would die less than seven days after the boy’s wedding day.

Hanbin didn’t know why he had to be the boy in the Myoui legend. But he fell in love at first sight the moment he met Myoui Mina. He thought of subtle ways to attract Mina, but he didn’t want her to marry him because of the Myoui legend. He wanted her to marry him out of love so he agreed to let her believe he needed a year to think about her being his woman. But he didn’t expect they would be separated for a year.

Luckily after a year she didn’t change her mind.

It was a pity no one witnessed how handsome Kim Hanbin looked when he smiled sincerely.

Hanbin’s phoenix birthmark reminded him of Mina’s parting words. Unless he removed the phoenix birthmark then Mina was going to be his woman. He thought Mina was a dummy. He didn’t know when the dummy would realise she always had his heart. But he was enjoying being pursued by the dummy.

Nearby the main house, Mino walked aimlessly with Lisa.

“Mino, where are we going?” Lisa asked.

Mino only wanted to let Hanbin spend private time with Mina.

Mino didn’t have a specific place he wanted to take Lisa.

“I want to go to the amusement park,” Lisa said.

“We can’t go to there,” Mino said. “If boss comes home and he doesn’t see you then he’ll send me off to be disciplined in a remote place.”

“We can come home before Jennie’s back,” Lisa said. “Jennie won’t find out. Can we go to the amusement park? I’ll cry if you don’t take me there and I’ll tell Jennie you bullied me then you'll be sent off to a remote place.”

“Miss Lisa, how can you say I bullied you when you’re bullying me?” Mino joked.

Mino saw Lisa’s teary eyes and he sighed helplessly.

“Ok, I’ll take you there but you can’t run around on your own,” Mino said.

“Mino is the best,” Lisa said.

Mino thought Confucius was right about women were hard to deal with. He didn’t know how to deal with children either. If people found out he was babysitting at an amusement park then his manly image would disappear.

At Cavallino Matto, Mino regretted his decision.

“Mino, let’s go on the roller coaster again,” Lisa said.

“Miss Lisa, let’s take a break and let me breathe,” Mino begged.

Mino felt it was more tiring to entertain a child than fighting an enemy.

Lisa saw a bright merry-go-round and she ran off. The children on the merry-go-round were having fun. But it was crowded in front of the merry-go-round so she walked to a less crowed spot to take a closer look at the merry-go-round. She craned her neck then suddenly someone struck her neck and she lost consciousness.