Two Misfits and a Baby

a preview to a new book :)

The sound of someone crying wakes the oldest of the McKay household. A man named Eric.

As he headed downstairs from his and his husband's bedroom, an uneasy feeling came over him. Why would somebody be crying outside his house?

He checked the backyard first, but realized it wouldn't be worth it unless someone wanted to get their pants caught while climbing over their fence. When he went to the front, he took guesses on what it could be, a dog, some random, hell, a fucking cat. His eyes widened when he opened the door.

A baby. Wrapped in a blanket with a note.

Eric looked around before he picked up the baby, who couldn't be more than a few days old. He read the note.

Please, take care of Mason.

The baby, Mason, had calmed down significantly as Eric gently rocked him in his arms. Cries had turned into soft whimpers and coos and Eric smiled softly.

"That's all you needed, yeah?" He hummed. "Just a little love?"

The baby cooed again and Eric sat down on the couch

"Eric?" His husband, Cam, called from the stairs. "What's going on? What was that?"

When Mason let out a tiny cry Eric grunted.

"Keep your voice down and come here."

Cam obeyed, knowing whatever was wrong would be explained when he sat down.

"Is that?" He asked quietly. Eric nodded and handed him the note. "Please, take care of Mason?"

Mason cooed, hearing his name and Eric grins.

"You know your name already, huh Mason?" Eric received the same reaction.

He looked at Cam.

"We have to, you know that, right?" 

"Eric, we don't have anything to take care of a kid, let alone a baby!"

"We always said we were going to adopt, but we keep putting it off!"

Cam sighed. "I know, I know. For now just, get your shoes on so we can take him to the hospital."

Eric looked upset.

"Hey, no. Don't look at me like that. I know you want to keep him, but we should take him anyways, just to be sure he's okay. And maybe get adoption papers for him as well."

A smile makes its way to Eric's face and he laughs softly, holding the bundled blanket closer.

"Okay."