xiii. ben

―

At the hospital, Marty, Rachel, Chandler, Joey, Monica and a stressed out Ross were stood in the waiting room, Susan and a pregnant and in labour Carol nowhere to be seen.

"She's not here yet. She's not here. She's having my baby and she's not here." Ross freaked out.

"Breathe, Ross." Marty told the man, taking his hand in her own to try and comfort him, only for Ross to squeeze her hand tightly, making Marty wince in pain.

"I'm sure everything's fine," Monica told her brother, "Has her water broke yet?"

"I don't know, but when I spoke to her, she said she had already passed the mucus plug." Ross sighed, making Joey let out a sound of disgust.

"Do we have to know about that?" The Italian man complained.

"Joey, what are you gonna do when you have a baby?" Monica asked him.

"I'm gonna be in the waitin' room, handing out cigars." Joey shrugged.

"Yes, Joey's made arrangements to have his baby in a movie from the 50's." Chandler nodded sarcastically.

"God, I don't believe this," Ross groaned, squeezing Marty's hand tighter, making her eyes almost pop out of her head, "She could be giving birth in the cab."

"Oh, Ross, relax. It's probably like two dollars for the first contraction, and then fifty cents for each additional contraction," Rachel laughed at her attempt at a joke, only to gain blank stares from the others, "What, it's ok when Chandler does it?"

"You have to pick your moments." Chandler told the woman.

Phoebe then arrived, guitar in hand, "Did I miss it, did I miss it?" She worried.

"She's not even here yet." Ross sighed, making Marty rub his arm in comfort.

Monica nodded her head to the instrument in the blonde woman's hand, "What's with the guitar?"

"I just thought we might be here for awhile. You know, things might get musical." Phoebe shrugged with a grin.

Thankfully, Carol was then wheeled into the waiting room by a good-looking doctor, Susan with them, carrying bags.

Ross let go of Marty's hand, walking over to his ex-wife, making Marty sigh in relief, cradling her bruised hand close to her chest, "Where the hell have you been?"

"We stopped at the gift shop." Susan told him.

"I was looking at stuffed animals, and Susan wanted a Chunky," Carol smiled, "Oh, and Marty sweetie, for you." The woman said, passing a bag of fudge to redhead - who she had grown very close to in the months leading up to the birth.