Chapter 18 - Power and Conflict (like my poem anthology) but just the Conflict

Naruto stared at the note. The note stared back. Naruto stared harder. The note was not intimidated and continued staring. After a minute or two, by which time Naruto's eyes felt like someone had just sand jutsu-d on them, John entered the dorm with his signature Aggressive Door Slam™. Startled by the loud noise, Naruto blinked. Damn it. He sighed and flopped onto his bed, accepting defeat.

Naruto had spent half of last night puzzling over the note and spent the other half asleep because he actually wanted to be able to function the next day, thank you very much. (stares aggressively at reader)

The result of his night-time ponderings was that if Sasuke was in this world, Naruto would have to be on the lookout. He would be the coolest spy, the greatest lookout ever known to anyone ever!

Kurama's opinions on the matter were pointedly ignored.

Either way, Naruto still had classes to attend, so he sighed again, grabbed a few pots of ramen, five water bottles, and also a kettle (his lunch rations, obviously), and left for class.

It was a beautiful day – the sun was hidden behind a thick layer of clouds, and the weather was cold enough to be annoying but not enough for any self-respecting Wellston student to wear a coat. The sky was drizzling in that perfectly irritating way where an umbrella would be useless in protecting anyone against the dampness that hung in the air.

Naruto growled in annoyance at the humidity. One thing that he missed most about Konoha, other than his friends of course, was the lovely, warm weather which made any day better. Here? The weather was alright, but the rainy days were so damn annoying. It felt like water was seeping into his body through his pores or something.

'Osmosis,' Kurama helpfully supplied. Naruto groaned even louder and started to drag his feet, not wanting to suffer another biology lesson with Kurama, who has apparently taken a liking to this world's 'strange yet admirable sorcery', the senile old fox. To make it worse, biology was in the other block, which meant he had to walk OUTSIDE! That would make him a massive target for this stupid weather.

With a glare that could cut steel, Naruto stared at the door to the dreaded outside. Breathe in, and out, in... AND RUN LIKE SAKURA WAS ABOUT TO BURN HIS RAMEN BECAUSE HE NEEDS HIS DAILY RAMEN OR HE'LL SUFFER FROM WITHDRAWAL AND THAT WOULDN'T BE VERY GOOD BECAUSE-

Oh. He was already at the science block. Time flies when one worries about ramen and the weather. In the corner of his mind, Naruto could hear Kurama laughing his tails off.

'Don't laugh at me! How would you like it if the air around you was 95% water??' Naruto grumbled, slowly trudging towards Biology.

'It's, its just that- HAHA- you ran- AHAHA- instead of- instead of doing a shunshin! HAHAHAHAHA!' Kurama wheezed, clutching his sides.

"Gaaaah, why didn't I think of that?" Naruto whined. "Can't you grow some sympathy and tell me of your amazing ideas next time?"

'Why should I when watching you stumble around is the most entertainment I'm ever going to get?' Kurama chuckled.

"Sometimes, I don't understand why I bother talking with you," Naruto sighed whilst turning a corner in the corridor. He knew Kurama was going to start complaining, but his attention wasn't on Kurama anymore, it was on the small crowd gathered in the corridor. Naruto knew from experience that Wellston crowds either meant a) someone was getting beaten up or b) someone was getting beaten up. Naruto took a wild guess and assumed that someone was getting beaten up.

Because he had a bit of a saviour complex (only a bit? scoffed Kurama), Naruto forced his way through the crowd. As he got closer to the centre, he heard bits of conversation from the people in the crowd.