06

Months.

It had been months since Catherine last saw Will, or even her family.

Within the time that had past, Will had looked so much older. As if he was no longer the blacksmith boy, and now he was a grown man. His hair had grown longer, his facial hair becoming more defined and fuller.

He was still so beautiful.

She moved his head on to her lap, not caring for how uncomfortable the bottom of the bone cage was to sit on. A lose brown lock was draped over his face, she noticed. Without even thinking, she gentle brushed it away, tracing his forehead with her thumb. She couldn't tell if she was trying to sooth him, or sooth herself by doing it. It brought up tears into her eyes again, and she had already cried after seeing him.

Blinking them away, she sniffled, lowering her hand to place on his shoulder. There were so many things she wanted to tell him, and ask him. She was dying to know how her parents were doing, how Elizabeth was. The news about her marriage to Jack hadn't been shared with anyone other than the crew. She felt guilty about marrying Jack without her family present, but she knew it would be a long time until they could return home without the Royal Navy chasing them.

The faint sound of drums beating caused her to look up. She lost track of how long they have been played for. Within that distance was her husband, her wonderful and stupid husband. It seemed silly when she read a book where the main character longed to be within their lovers arms. But within this moment, she found herself longing for the same thing. She wanted to be with Jack, somewhere in the world, in his arms, no cures or debts to be paid to haunt them. It seemed like a beautiful dream to her. Possibly, she thought, it may become real.

A shift under her hand caused her to snap her eyes down. Beneath her hand, Will took in a deep breath as he regained consciousness, slowly beginning to peel his eyes open. Her heart pounded in her chest as his brown eyes surveyed around at the top of the cage, brows flexing. When he finally looked to her, a small hitch of his breath shortly followed. "Catherine...?" He murmured.

A watery laugh came from Catherine, her eyes beginning to tear up again. It had been awhile since she smile so bright. So bright that one may confused the light of heaven with her smile.

Will breathed out her name again, shot up into a sitting position, pulling her into his chest. In that moment, it felt like they were the only two within that cage. Two best friends being reunited after months of being apart.

Laughter came from Catherine as her face was squished into his chest. God, she had missed Will so much more than she realized. Her arms squeezed around his back, holding him so tight as if she was afraid he would disappear if she let go.

They pulled apart, smiling widely at each other. "I've missed you," She whispered through her emotions.

Will held her face in his hands, tears welling up in his eyes. "I've missed you too." He tilted his head back to press a kiss on top of her forehead. "So much," He added, pressing his forehead against hers.

She sniffled, letting out a small laugh as she gripped his wrists, holding her forehead pressed against his. He was such a wonderful surprise. It was a good distraction from everything that had been happening in her life. Jack, she was certain, wouldn't be too pleased to see Will. But she knew he would be, considering how happy it made her.

"What are you doing here?" She finally asked, pulling away to look at his face.

He really was so beautiful.

The question seemed to pull Will back to reality, causing his smile to falter. "There is something I need to discuss with you, and with Jack."

The good feeling was gone, replaced by her stomach dropping.