01

White moonlight peered through the window of the Captain's Quarters, blending with the yellow glow from the multiple candles around the room. Standing in the mix of the contrasting colors stood once known as Catherine Bailey, now known as Catherine Sparrow. She gazed into the full length mirror, tilting her head, then raising her chin as she observed her appearance. The candle beside her face creating an illuminating glow, amplifying her beautiful features.

Months had past since she left Port Royal and married Jack. Letters to home were growing less frequent, and her trip to return was being pushed back further and further. It wasn't because she didn't want to see her family, or write to them, it just grew harder for her. She knew what Jack had been doing was important, and she couldn't leave her husband. Things were growing trickery now for them. Being a pirate was much like walking on thin ice, one wrong move with the law and the ice would break. Even if Catherine could return home, she wasn't sure if she'd ever walk past the front door of her home.

Her hazel eyes reflected back to her, a hidden sadness in them. The reoccurring thought that keeps reappearing in the back of her mind. No matter how much it pained her, she knew it probably happened for the best. Yet her eyes subconsciously began to look over her frock coat that wrapped around her body, glancing at the olive green shirt that poked out along with some of her cleavage.

Before she even realized it, tears burned which she blinked away instantly. Now was not the time for it. Her only source of comfort on the matter was her husband. But she knew he hid his sadness to help with hers. It had been a month. She mentally scolded herself, "It happened. It's done. Time to move on and be present."

And that seemed to do the trick.

Multiple shouts and rushing footsteps pulled her from her thoughts. She looked towards her bedroom door, letting out a small sigh of relief, the tension in her body melting.

Jack was back.

Clearing her throat, she swallowed, taking in a deep breath. "Everything is okay. It's okay. Focus on the new adventure, Catherine." And she found herself smiling at the thought. A new adventure indeed. This new adventure had just begun, and she knew, after going on one with her husband, she never knew what to expect.

Backing away from the mirror, she turned towards the door, slipping outside. The moonlight only gave little light to the deck of the Black Pearl. Catherine could hardly see the crew the further she walked out on deck. The closer she got, the more see saw the crew, mostly Mr. Gibbs, approaching and gathering around their captain as he settled on to his feet.

"Not quite according to plan," Mr. Gibbs stated, observing the skeleton leg Jack handed him.

Catherine grinned at her husband who had yet noticed her presence. "Has anything ever gone to plan?" She asked playfully.

Jack turned his head to his wife, grinning back at her. "I married you, so I would say so." She walked up to him, allowing him to wrap an arm around her waist. He pressed a short kiss on her lips before whispering, "Hi," lovingly at her. Looking up, he nodded to Mr. Gibbs, smile dropping, "Complications around, ensued, were overcome."

Mr. Cotton placed Jack's coat on his shoulder before the pirate walked off with Catherine tucked under his arm.

"You got what you went in for, then?" Mr. Gibbs rushed after Jack.

The captain hummed yes, pulling out a rolled up cloth and waved it to the man.

Catherine furrowed her brows, a little amused smile growing. "You went to all that trouble for that?" She asked as they walked around the mast.

They came to a sharp halt as they came face-to-face with the crew, blocking their path to their room. None of them appeared to be happy.

"Captain," Mr. Gibbs spoke, "I think the crew, meaning me as well, were expecting something a bit more...shiny, with the Isla de Muerta pear-shaped, reclaimed by the sea with the treasure with it."