03

Jack froze, staring at Catherine.

"Now, Jack, tell me what is going on now!" She demanded, taking a step closer to her. Fear and anxiety filled up her abdomen, causing an unsettling sickness about to rise up to her throat. Jack couldn't die. He couldn't.

Saying nothing, he grabbed her by the hand and pulling her, despite being still in her small robe, across the cellar into a panicked run. Orders were shouted below deck from the frantic pirate, dragging his wife past the sleeping crewmen. Men began falling out of their hammocks. They jumped to their feet, stumbling to get the ship prepared to set sail despite it being so late in the evening.

Up the steps and on to the deck, Jack still kept his black spot free hand within Catherine's cleaner hand. Orders were still being screamed at from the pirate, taking her entirely by surprise. She had never seen him behaving like this. It was making Jack look completely insane, almost making Catherine want to step back from beside him.

Almost.

Jack pulled her around the mast, letting go of her hand to begin wrapping free from that dangled around his hand.

"Do we have a heading?" Mr. Gibbs questioned.

The captain yelped startled, jumping around to face him. "Aah! Ooh. Run! Land!" He dipped down to hide behind the mast, poking his head around the side.

"Which port?" Mr. Gibbs asked desperately.

"Didn't say. I said land. Any land." Jack said quickly.

The monkey swooped down, grabbing Jack's hat and threw it over the side of the ship. The animal screeched at Jack, causing the pirate to hiss back.

"Jack!" Catherine scolded at his childish behavior.

The crew ran to the side of the ship, making an effort to retrieve their captain's hat. But the captain himself refused their attempts. "No! No." When all eyes turned, he didn't even bat an eye when he said, "Run."

He grasped Catherine's hand, dragging her to follow him. "This is ridiculous! You are being ridiculous!" She exclaimed as he hid them under the staircase near a lantern.

"Jack?" Mr. Gibbs called, instantly being shushed by his captain. He drew closer to where they hid, look at Catherine desperate for answers that she herself didn't have. "For the love of a mother and child, Jack, what's coming after us?" He whispered.

Jack snapped his eyes towards Mr. Gibbs. "Nothing," He whispered lightly, snapping his eyes away from the man.

An agitated sigh came from Catherine. Looking to Mr. Gibbs, she gave him a look that silently told him she was going to murder their captain. A pled in his eyes for her to figure out what was going on was something she didn't really need to see, she knew it was something she was going to do. The quartermaster was owed an explanation to what was going on. And so was she.

They had gotten quite good at communicating just through their facial expressions. It became an everyday thing between them. If their were issues or concerns that either one could figure out, they would give one look and do just that. Some days, it was just a matter of furrowed brows: "what's going on with him?", which was usually followed by an eyeroll: "I have no idea."

Mr. Gibbs hesitated before giving Catherine one last look: "Find out, and let me know." When she nodded, he turned away to give orders, directing the crew on where to go and what to do.

The fiery red head turned her head, looking at the man she loved but also wanted to murder at the moment. Rolling her eyes, she began to walk past him but what sharply pulled back. "What?" She snapped, causing him to jump.