chapter 25

chapter 25

THE MORNING LIGHT sifted through my room from the damaged curtains as I stirred from a restless slumber. My body gnawed in pain, and my stomach rumbled, reminding me of the hunger I have ignored for the past few hours. I haven't eaten much, though. My eyes oscillated open, and I then focused on the familiar sight of my old room: the peeling wallpaper, the old furniture, and the dusty windows. I sighed, stretching my arms above my head and feeling as my tired muscles extended.

"Good morning," I whispered to my cat, reaching down to stroke Ophelia's black fur as she curled up beside me. She purred contently, nuzzling her head into my hand.

As much as I wanted to stay in my old room, my stomach protested with a loud rumble. It had been two days since I escaped the clutches of Miss Alice's home, and the gnawing emptiness within me could no longer be ignored.

The groaning of the wooden stairs beneath my feet echoed through the house as I descended, hoping to find something to eat in our meager kitchen. The coolness of the morning air sent a weird sensation, and I pulled my tattered shawl closer, wrapping it tightly around my body. The soft pattering of Ophelia's paws followed close behind. And then, as I reached the kitchen, I held my breath, opening the cabinet door, only to be met with a hollow emptiness. My heart sank because of the sight.

"Of course," I said. Of course, there's no food.

Ophelia meowed pitifully as I sighed, turning away from the barren cabinet and moving towards the storage box in the corner, hoping for a miracle. As I lifted the lid, my heart ached yet again at the sight of the empty space that greeted me. Nothing. Not even a single crumb.

A rumble emanated from the depths of my stomach, gnawing at me like a wild animal. This time, it was louder. I remembered the money I had stashed away in my room. Ophelia and I raced back up the stairs here and there, her meows filling the air. But upon reaching her, I reassured Ophelia with a gentle stroke, whispering words of comfort. I turned my attention to the old cabinet, opening its panel with haste. But to my horror, my belongings were strewn about, tossed aside in a chaotic mess. My heart raced, realization dawning on me.

Someone had been here. While I was away at Elliot's, while I stayed in Miss Alice's academy, and while this home was empty, a thief may have invaded our home, taking the last of our money. I sank to the floor, feeling the weight of despair crushing me. The world seemed to collapse around me, my vision blurring.

As I sat there, broken and helpless, my gaze fell on Ophelia. Her eyes were clouded, and her body was shivering. The growl of my stomach served as a distasteful reminder of our state. The desperation within me grew, and in that moment, I questioned my own moral compass.

Should I stoop low again to steal from people? Should I go back to the life I once left? Could I bring myself to take what I needed? The thought of it twisted my insides, but the gnawing hunger and the sight of Ophelia made the choice painfully clear. I would do what I had to do.

I stood up, glancing once more at Ophelia. Her eyes seemed to understand the choice I had made, and I could only hope that the world would somehow forgive me for what I was about to do. I sat up, my thoughts drifting back to the time when Elliot was still alive, when I was scraping by in this very house. The memories of our struggles to make ends meet flooded my mind, as did the one reliable source of income I had. I knew it was not the most honorable means of survival, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

With a heavy heart, I looked down at Ophelia, who gazed back at me with her wide, green eyes. "I'll be right back," I promised, my voice barely audible. "I just need to find us something to eat."

With that, I mustered the strength to pull myself from the floor and stepped into the creaking floor. The familiar creak of the floorboards accompanied my every step as I made my way to the front door, pausing for a moment to inhale deeply. Then, as I stepped out of the house, the bustling town of Perthlochry stretched before me, its streets teeming with people of all statuses and backgrounds. The marketplace was a sea of activity, with merchants hawking their wares and customers haggling for the best deals. I thought that it might be the perfect environment to spot potential victims.

I pulled the hood of my cloak over my head, concealing my face as I wove my way through the crowd, my eyes scanning for potential targets. A well-dressed gentleman caught my attention, his pocket bulging with the unmistakable outline of a coin purse. I carefully sidled up to him, my heart pounding in my chest as I reached out with trembling fingers, my skills rusty from disuse. However, I failed. He almost caught me. Noticed. Whatever. Though I felt a twinge of guilt for my actions, the thought of the warm meal that awaited me and Ophelia was enough to quell any lingering remorse.