Part 13

A.N. Written alongside PanFluidMe

————————————————————————

A few hours passed and Mirabel and Camilo were sitting in the nursery, talking about the whole situation that had just went down not even a day ago.

Mirabel had forced him to tell him exactly how he had gotten hurt and how bad it actually was.

Afterwards, she asked him the question that has been on her mind for a long time, "why have you always been so afraid to leave the Encanto until now?"

He faltered, trying to think of how to say it. "I was scared of getting hurt. Tía Julieta's food doesn't heal out there and I can't shift out there. When we leave the Encanto, our gifts just go away when or even if we return."

Mirabel nodded, understanding, "oh, that makes more sense. I did not know that."

Camilo nodded, playing with his hands. "Abuela says I worry too much."

Mirabel chuckled slightly. "Maybe a little too much. But that's not a bad thing! It just means you're cautious! Way more cautious that I am!" She laughed lightly.

He chuckled and shrugged. "I guess so."

Mirabel smiled at her cousin when they both heard a knock on the nursery door and turned their heads toward the door.

"Mirabel? Are you in there?"

"¡Sí, Abuela!" Mirabel called back, looking at her cousin nervously.

"Could we talk? ¿Por favor?"

"Uhm, sure!" Mirabel said. "Come in!"

"Gracias." Abuela opened the door.

Mirabel looked at her then at Camilo, gesturing toward the door, "I'll talk to you later."

Camilo nodded and stood up. "Talk to you later, mi prima."

Mirabel watched as he left, closing the door behind him, before turning to her abuela. "What did you need to talk to me about, Abuela?"

"What were you thinking?"

"What?" Mirabel questioned, not quite understanding what Abuela is asking.

"You left Encanto."

Mirabel paused. "Oh, you heard about that?"

"Sí, I heard."

"Oh..." Mirabel paused. "You're mad... aren't you?"

"I am mad. What if you had gotten hurt? Or worse?"

Mirabel didn't want to tell her that she had gotten hurt out there. "Right... what if I had gotten hurt..." She repeated.

"We cannot afford to loose anyone."

"Sí... but don't worry, Abuela. I'm fine." Mirabel said.

"Don't you ever do that again."

"Sí..." Mirabel nodded, not looking up at her Abuela.

"Good."

Mirabel paused, wondering if she should say anything else. "You know, it's not as bad as you think it is out there..."

"It is a dangerous place out there, Mirabel."

"I didn't run into any danger. The most dangerous thing I found out there was the rocks." She laughed lightly.

"Mirabel."

"¿Sí?" Mirabel asked.

"The world is an unsafe place."