Part 11

A.N. Written alongside PanFluidMe

—————————————————————————

Dolores and Félix led Mirabel back to Camilo and Pepa. Dolores gently held onto Mirabel's hand as they walked.

The hand holding helped Mirabel trust Dolores a little more.

They soon arrived to the place they left Camilo and Pepa. Camilo was sitting, pouting as he held his broken arm.

Pepa was looking at her son worriedly when she heard movement coming from some bushes near them. She looked over as her daughter, husband, and niece emerged from the bushes.

Camilo noticed Mirabel and his face lit up. He immediately tried to stand up and give her a hug.

Pepa put her hand on Camilo's shoulder, shaking her head, silently telling him to take it easy.

Pepa then looked at Mirabel, sensing something was off.

Mirabel didn't seem to recognize either her or her son.

"Okay, so good news is that we found her." Dolores started, looking over at Mirabel before looking back at her mother. "Bad news is that she has amnesia and doesn't remember any of us or even what her own name is."

Mirabel looked over at Camilo. He didn't look too good. He clearly had both a broken arm and a broken foot. She didn't know who he was, but she was still worried about him.

Camilo frowned. "Oh."

"Sí, but we'll help her remember," Félix's tone was soft, yet determined.

Pepa looked at Mirabel worriedly, noticing the dried blood.

Mirabel continued to look at Camilo, then looked at the rest of the group and back at Camilo, finally deciding to speak up, a little anxiously, "uhm, yeah, I may not know you, but, uhm, are you okay?"

Camilo saddened a little then nodded. "Sí. I'm fine."

"Oh, okay, I was just checking." Mirabel smiled warmly at him.

He nodded and tried to stand up again. "Are you okay?"

"Me? Oh, I'm fine. You know, besides not remembering who I am or who any of you are. And my head hurts a little." She rubbed the spot with the dried blood again. "But I'm fine!"

Camilo frowned then slowly nodded. "I'm here if you need help."

"Thanks, but I think I'm okay." Mirabel smiled at him.

"Okay..."

"We better get home to get these two some help." Dolores pointed out.

"I'm fine, Dolores." Camilo finally stood up then bit back a wince. "See? I'm standing."

Dolores put her hand on Camilo's shoulder. "Let's go home."

She looked over at her mother, who nodded.

Félix also nodded. "I can carry Camilo."

"What? Noooo. I can walk myself."

"I really don't think that's a good idea, mi hijo." Pepa said to Camilo. "As soon as we get back home, your tía Julieta can heal your ankle and arm, but until then, you really should not be putting any pressure on that ankle."

"But I'm fine!"

"Camilo."

"What?"

"You aren't walking, end of the discussion."

Mirabel felt like she should say something, but decided to stay out of it.

"Camilo, just... please? We'll be back home soon and Tía Julieta can heal your arm and ankle." Dolores said.

"I'm fine!"

Mirabel decided to speak up finally, "maybe you should listen to them..." She then added on quickly, feeling as though she shouldn't be invading in their conversation, "I mean, I don't want to tell you what to do, this isn't my place to speak."

"It's okay, Mira. Camilo just needs to listen."

"I'm fine," Camilo repeated and stomped his broken foot before wincing in pain. "I'm fiiiinnnneeee."

"I- sorry to jump in here again, but uh, you don't seem fine." Mirabel said.

Camilo frowned then shrugged. "I've gotten hurt way worse than this."

"That may be true, but you still shouldn't put too much pressure on that ankle." Mirabel pointed out, feeling a bit more comfortable speaking. "It isn't looking great, and it's only going to get worse if you continue to walk on it."

"I've been standing on it all day..."

"Exactly, which means it's just gonna worse from here." Mirabel said. "But again, this seems like a family issue. Don't mind me." She took a slight step back.

"You are family."

"Oh, I am?" She took a slight step forward again.

Camilo nodded. "Sí."

"Camilo, what do you mean that you've gotten hurt worse than this?"

"Yeah, can we go back to that please?" Pepa spoke up.

"Uhhhh. It's nothing?"

"No, no, no, let's backtrack here. What do you mean you have gotten hurt worse?" Pepa insisted.

"Uhmmm. We should really get home."

"Okay, you know what? We'll drop it for now, if you let your father carry you home and don't put any pressure on that foot." Pepa negotiated.

"I can walk myself."

"Camilo. You cannot walk on that foot. End of discussion." Pepa said.

"But-"

"Your mother said end of discussion."

"Can we go home now?" Dolores asked, getting just the slightest bit impatient.

Dolores gently grabbed onto Mirabel's hand again, just for extra measure. She was sure Mirabel could walk up and down the mountain by herself without the extra support, but Dolores didn't want to take the chance of possibly losing her cousin again.

The five walked mostly in silence, minus a few pouting sounds from Camilo.