Portal

(Y/N)

I huffed lifting the obsidian over my head. We were at the opening at the cave and there was a ledge we had to get over. All I had to do was lift the block high enough for Tommy to grab it safely.

     "Just a little more," he urged, trying to help by grabbing it.

     It took a minute longer but finally, finally, we got the obsidian out of the cave. The best part was that it was night and the sun wasn't out to blind us. Only the moon shone down on us and I sighed, sitting down. I didn't feel like hauling my body out of the cave. My arms hurt too much.

     "(Y/N), c'mon. We're almost at the portal. I can put it together while you get Aster." He peered down at me from above.

     I waved a hand, "I'll be right there. Just let me rest."

     "I told you you'd get too tired. You should have let me carry it up for that last part."

     I shrugged, too tired to talk. I just want to sit here for a little while. Maybe more. Yeah.

     "(Y/N), Dream will find us eventually. We ought to get going."

     I groaned at the mention of the D name and placed my hands on my face. Goddammit. With everything that happened in the caves I forgot why we were doing this in the first place. Why can't that man just leave us alone?

    "(Y/N)?"

     I took a breath. Tommy's been through more than me. The least I can do is be strong for him. He's been strong enough for so long, I'm sure. I wiped my face and stood, renewed strength in my body. "I'm fine, I'm fine." I pulled myself out of the ditch and smiled at him, patting the obsidian. "You sure you can fix the portal on your own?"

     "I wouldn't have offered if I wasn't."

     I smiled at him, "Fine, then. I'll be right back with Aster and our things. Don't go through the portal without me."

     "Yeah, yeah, I know."

     I got up, making my way towards the woods. I tread lightly, making sure that I didn't make too much noise. If Dream was around I wouldn't want to alert him of my presence. Then again, he'd probably go after Tommy first, since he's out in the open. That realization was enough to make me dash towards our hidden camp spot and I found Aster curled protectively around our things.

     I crouched next to him, petting him gently. "Aster," I whispered. "Buddy, wake up."

     Aster opened his eyes, immediately jumping up to meet me, tackling me to the floor. I laughed, petting his head and he licked my face furiously. It would have been terrifying if it hadn't been Aster.

     "I'm happy to see you too, bud," I laughed out and hugged him tightly. Eventually, I stood, grabbing a spare bag we had left behind and a few sticks. Then, I took any and all food I could find and stuffed it in the bag. I don't know how long we'll be in the Nether but I know food is probably scarce there. It'd be a good idea to stock up.

     I stood, patting my thigh to tell Aster to follow, and made my way to the portal. Tommy was fine and the portal was properly built. Aster ran up to the blonde happily, tackling him much like he did to me.

    "Aster! Good to see you again." The wolf barked happily, nuzzling against the boy.

     "Aster, you're heavy. Get off of him," I chided, nudging him off gently. I turned to Tommy, extending a hand. "Your wings okay?"

     "Yeah, it only hurt a little bit."

     "Before we go to the Nether we should clean them off a little." I nodded at the unlit portal. "We can't have water in there, after all."

     "Right." He nodded at the ocean. "You'll help me out, right?"

     "Of course I will!" I placed our things down, keeping only the sword on me and grabbed his hand, tugging him down to the shore. Aster followed curiously, enthralled by Tommy's wings.

     "Ugh, we can't sit here." Tommy grumbled when I motioned for him to sit by the water. "I'll get sand all over me!"

     I rolled my eyes, "Fine, stay standing then. Just open one of your wings."

     He did as I asked and extended his left wing as far as he could.

     I bent down, wetting my hands and began cleaning Tommy's wings to the best of my ability. I'd never dealt with birds much in the past so it was a new experience but I tried my best. i gently eased anything that seemed out of place off of his feathers and tried to straighten the crooked ones. I did this for both his wings until they looked presentable enough.

     "There. They looked alright now."

     He looked back, fluttering his wings weakly, staring at them with mixed emotions. Appreciation, guilt, regret. "Thank you."

     "No problem, man. It's the least I could do."

     He smiled at me and moved forwards, giving me a tight embrace. I saw his wings flutter around his body, as if the wanted in on the hug as well. "I owe you so much, (Y/N). Really. Thank you."

     I felt a smile spread across my face and I hugged him back, mindful of his wings. "I owe you too, Tommy."