Chapter 23 - by xXMade2LoveXx

** Rae's POV **

"This is weird, isn't it?" I ask Fred quietly as we climb into a carriage.

"Oh yes. Very weird," he agrees.

"Should we tell them?" I glance over to where Elena is talking to Remus. Fred groans.

"Probably," he says, "it'll all come out somehow, no matter how careful we are and it'll look more suspicious the longer we keep it a secret."

George swings up into the carriage and grins at us.

"Holidays are my favourite days of the year," he says, slumping down in the seat. Elena climbs up and positions herself opposite me. The carriage starts forward with a lurch and I glance at Fred who nods.

"We, uh, we have something we need to tell you," I say, "I know there's been a lot of drama recently and I think most of it could have been avoided had we talked a bit more, but, um, the thing is... Fred and I kissed."

Elena's mouth falls open and George widens his eyes in shock.

"It didn't mean anything," I say quickly, "it just sort of happened. We weren't going to tell anyone, but we thought it would be better to be honest. We didn't mean anything by it and it won't happen again, right?"

"Right," Fred says firmly. George is frowning and Elena has started to cry again. I glance at Fred who half shrugs.

"Why did you kiss?" George asks.

"I don't know," I say honestly, "we were both just so mixed up and it just happened."

"Everything was just so tense," Fred adds, "I mean, with Oliver and Elena and everything. Neither of us knew what was going on, it was just..."

"Weird," I supply. Fred nods. George is looking pretty ticked off. Elena is still crying. The carriage stops with a jolt and we climb down.

"I'll meet you at the train," I tell Fred and Elena. Fred nods and they move away. I take George's hand and move out of the crowd.

"I'm sorry," I tell him, "I didn't know... I mean... Fred told me you like me. I like you too. A lot. I have for a long time. I don't want anything to happen like it did with Elena and Oliver, so, can we... I mean..."

I fumble for words, my cheeks blazing with colour. George takes my face in his hands and kisses me softly on the lips.

"Yeah, I'll be your boyfriend, if I must," he says jokingly, then hugs me tightly, "come on, before we miss the train."

We find Fred, but Elena isn't with him.

"She went to sit with Angelina and Alicia," Fred explains, helping us put our trunks away. I consider if I should find her, but I decide to clear the air with the twins first.

"Are we all okay?" I ask, looking between the boys. George nods.

"I've had enough drama for a life time," he says, "I'm too exhausted to hold a grudge."

"And you're okay with Elena?" I ask Fred. He nods.

"I guess I've moved on from it all," he sighs.

"What does that mean?" I ask, frowning.

"I mean, I used to like her as more than a friend," he says, "but after everything, I'm just not sure that I do any more."

I bite my lip. Elena said she's in love with Fred. I sigh inwardly.

"Well, just wait until after the holidays before you say anything like that to her, please? I don't want any more tension."

Fred nods, looking out the window. George takes my hand and runs his thumb over the back of it. I sit back in the seat, finding the gentle contact soothing. I close my eyes and try to clear my mind. It's been a jumble of emotions and the only time I've felt normal has been playing with Snuffles. I lean my head against George's shoulder as the train bumps lightly over the tracks. I hear he and Fred talking quietly, but it becomes back ground noise.

I dip in and out of sleep all morning until lunch time. I feel grogy after the unsettled sleep. Fred moves to sit next to George so that I can lie down on the seat. I have to tuck my legs up so my knees are nearly touching my chest and it's fairly uncomfortable, but I fall into a deep slumber. I have dreams and nightmares, but I don't stir until we reach London and George gently shakes me. I sit up, rubbing sleep from my eyes and stretching.

I follow the boys off the train and on to the platform. We queue at the barrier, waiting for our turn to go through. I walk through the wall between the boys. On the other side the platform is emptying. I can see the Weasleys. Dad and Elena are standing with them, talking. My heart quickens, wondering if Remus has told Mrs Weasley that he's changed his mind, however as we approach they're not talking about me. Remus turns to me as we reach them and he smiles sadly.

"You're sure you don't want to come home?" he asks quietly. I look down at my shoes and shake my head.

"Okay," he says. He passes me a gift.

"Don't open it until Christmas," he says, pretending to be strict. I take it and smile, murmuring a thanks.

"Let's go then," he says to Elena. She looks over at me.

"Have a good Christmas," I say gently. She glances at Fred, then back at me and shakes her head.

"I'm sure you will," she says, turning to follow Remus away. George's arm winds around my shoulders and squeezes me softly.

"Come on, then!" Mrs Weasley says, "home time."